Monday, January 7, 2013

Not Quite

     
     I had this drive-by photo from last week that intrigued me but was not quite Barn Charm material, plus the sky went all pixelated or whatever when I brightened the photo.  I then tried several Photoshop effects on it and ended up sort of liking this "paint daubs" one.  (There are several brushes to choose from in "paint daubs" and I used "wide sharp".)  


     I worked on this photo (if you can call it work) last evening after spending a rather unrestful Sunday.  My dear husband got the notion this weekend to install shelves in our old catch-all storeroom upstairs, which was a wonderful thing to do, of course, but it kept everyone hopping all day.  I think he wanted to get it done while our college son was still home and could help.  They went to Waterloo on Saturday to buy the shelving.  Then he sent me back to town yesterday afternoon to get more supplies so the job could get finished.  When you're a farmwife living a ways out in the country a trip to the big town means you'd better get some groceries, too.  You have to make traveling that far as worthwhile as possible.  So I had to grocery-shop yesterday, which I hadn't planned on and wasn't really in the mood for.  But, it turned out ok---I was able to also check out the various clearance items at SuperTarget.  I love doing that.  I've acquired lots of cool stuff that way over the years.
     Today I hope to start putting the new shelves to use.  The storeroom was full of precarious stacks of cardboard boxes and big plastic totes filled with everything under the sun and now they can be stored in a handier, safer, and more organized way on the new shelves.  The totes and boxes will be easy to get to instead of all stacked up one on top of the other.  More than once I've wrenched my back while moving heavy totes around trying to unearth the one on the bottom which contained some desperately-needed holiday decorations or clothes or toys or whatever.
     Believe me, you do not want to hear about the back problems I've had.  One time my lower back went out and the pain was worse than any I experienced during my four anesthetic-less childbirths.  Its rather a horror story.  Another time, I happily purchased a tool cabinet for my husband at a garage sale and then stupidly decided to help load the weighty thing into the pickup.  I couldn't straighten up for a month and had pain for several months after that.  Yes, when it comes to my back, I had to learn the hard way.  It has felt good now for quite a few years and that's because I'm careful about what I lift and how I lift.  (Lift with knees.)  Plus I have slept with a pillow under or between my knees for many years. (And, so has my husband.)  I highly recommend doing that.  Taking walks helps, too.  Also, I discovered that the following should be avoided:  twisting the lower back, sitting in a slouching position, bending over without bending the knees, and reaching up too far with the arms (just take the time to go get the stepstool).
     I think I've slipped into digressing.  I had never even heard of the word digress until I started reading blogs over six years ago.  It means to wander away from the original subject which is really easy to do while blogging.  Now I think I'm double digressing, so I really must end this post and go search for a photo to put on Barn Charm later today.
          

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally think this is worthy of barn charm. I love the pixilated look. I'm only showing parts of my barn for it today. I'm sure you're enjoying those new shelves!

Leave It To Davis said...

:) Big smile...I love this post. I love the way you rambled from one subject to the other....just like you were sitting here talking to me...you didn't backspace and start over....you just let it flow. Great job.

You are lucky to live in the country so far that you need to buy groceries while you are there. I wish we did. We went for a rid today that far, and we made that comment....you'd have to make every trip count.

Your shelving sounds exciting. I wish we had the ingenuity to construct something in our extra room to make our storage more compact and usable.

I also love that you admitted to not ever hearing the word digress until you started reading blogs. I love your honesty. Sometimes, I think so many of us are putting on fronts on these blogs and we don't let people know who we truly are.

Meggie said...

I loved the post....digressing and all !!