Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Birds & Sadness





The cardinal was back yesterday morning, perched high in the tip-top branches of a soft maple tree.




After calf chores were done, I glanced up to see if Mr. Redbird was still there.














He had been replaced by this gray bird:

About all I could come up with from the bird book I have is that this is possibly a female "pine grosbeak". The beak is of the correct shape, and the book said the females can appear to be completely gray, if the light is such that you can't see their wingbars.

************************

My daughter, a high school art teacher and coach, phoned me last evening. She was upset because a student had committed suicide yesterday morning.

The student was not taking any of my daughter's art classes, but was in her study hall, and my daughter had often had conversations with this student. Evidently, yesterday morning, the student came to school as normal, but signed out later in the morning as if to go to an appointment. Instead, the student drove to an isolated area and committed suicide.

The school is stunned, the student being above average in academics and sports, and had many friends. My daughter is completely mystified. So I've been mulling and pondering, and praying for the grieving family and friends. And, yes, wondering what on earth could prompt a young person to do such a thing.

As I think back, through the years, it seems that every so often we hear of a seemingly happy, normal high school student suddenly going off and ending their life. Some sort of deep-seated pain and despair, possibly known only to them, has enveloped their life. Its heart-rending to think of any person being in that situation. Like I said, my prayers are certainly with this student's family and friends.

4 comments:

Mary Connealy said...

This is so awful, Jeanelle. Everyone will question everything for ... well, forever.

I have an author friend who is going through the suicide of her daughter right now. It just happened a week ago.

You or your daughter might find some comfort in her story as she struggles with 'what if' daily.

She's blogging about it just to try and have an outlet for her own grief.
http://darlenefranklinwrites.blogspot.com/

Jeannelle said...

You're right, Mary......the questions that will linger always. And the "if only's....".

How sad about your friend's situation. Thank you for the link....I will pass it on to my daughter.

Country Girl said...

Jeannelle, it's so sad when anyone takes their own life, and even more so when they are young and they have their entire life ahead of them. Over the winter I read about a high school senior, a young man who was at the top of his class and a wonderful athlete, well-liked by everyone. He jumped out of his bedroom apartment window while his mother was in the next room. He woke up in the hospital days later and had no recollection of having done what he did. Slowly over the weeks, it came back to him. There was a huge spread about his story in the Philadelphia Inquirer and was amazing to read. He'd been suffering silently for quite some time and his parents had only recently become aware of it. I'm so sorry that your daughter feels so badly about this. It's human nature to want to help.

Jeannelle said...

country girl,

Thank you for your insights. My goodness.....what an unusual story about the boy who jumped out the window.....how fortunate he survived!

Yes, my daughter felt bad....I felt sad, too, and I had never even met the boy who died, so it is hard for those who interacted with him on a regular basis. She said they had counselors at school today, and the area churches opened for the day and served lunches to groups of students who wanted to be together.