Friday, April 18, 2008

Gary Thies - Faith in Action

This "clanging cymbal" (I Cor. 13:1) will now tell the story of our bus trip to Mission Central yesterday.

We boarded the bus at 6 a.m. in Waverly, Iowa, and motored west on U.S. Highway 20. There was one pastor on the bus, and he led a devotion as we drove through the gray, rainy morning weather. He likened the bus we were on to the "Church" rolling along through the years.

With that thought in mind, it may be significantly symbolic that the back wheels of our bus became stuck in mud when we turned into the Mission Central farm driveway. The photo below shows the wrecker that was summoned to remedy the sticky situation. Hm-m.......the ladies on the bus represented several Lutheran churches from my home area, and I can't speak for those other churches, but I know my local church is a complete stick-in-the-mud when it comes to foreign missions.......hm-m.......interesting.
The next photo was taken inside the "barn" at the Mission Central farm. It formerly housed cattle and hogs, but now is a showcase for Christian mission work in foreign countries. The founder is Gary Thies, shown below holding the microphone.We listened in rapt attention he related the tale of how Mission Central came to be. For decades, Gary Thies and his wife, Maxine, lived across the road from this dumpy, run-down farm place. Gary said he wished many times that lightning would strike and burn the old buildings down. In a way.......lightning did strike, but it was in the form of an inspiration......an out-of-the-box, visionary idea.......which formed in the heart and mind of Gary Thies.


Through a series of events, circumstances, coincidences, Gary acquired the run-down farm and renovated the house and outbuildings. Everything in the barn has been donated by people who hear about what Gary is doing, including the altar in the photo above.

The walls of the barn are covered, and I mean, absolutely covered, with items and artifacts from all over the world. Below is a set of nesting dolls from Russia.

I took many, many photos........I have never seen such a place in all my life. Below is a depiction of the Last Supper, from Kenya.......made out of banana leaves!
I also have never met anyone quite like Gary Thies. This guy is absolutely, completely on fire about sponsoring people to go overseas to spread the Christian message to others. He speaks as a layman, of course, but I have never even heard a pastor speak with such passion and heartfelt enthusiasm. I'm not kidding.

I was seated way in the back row during his talks there in the barn. After we enjoyed our lunch in the former hoghouse (too funny), we returned to the barn for Gary's afternoon talk and slide presentation. At one point my eyes went shut......that's how I get after eating.......and all of a sudden I heard Gary shouting, "And I don't want to see anyone's eyes closed right now!" I looked up with a start, hoping I hadn't been the only one with closed eyes.......goodness!! The guy gets right to ya!!

We were also given a tour of the renovated farmhouse, which now houses the Mission Central offices, and a chapel and bedrooms upstairs for use by visiting missionaries. The photo below shows the altar in the peaceful little chapel room. (The Bible is open to Psalms 90, 91, 92, by the way.)

****************************************

*************************

**********

***

Anyway, to wrap it all up in few words........I was pretty much blown away by this place called Mission Central, and by Gary Thies. Someone that went on this trip needs to get up and talk about it in front of our church. Our people are just completely so wrapped up in themselves........and I'm including MYSELF in that thought. We are clanging cymbals inside the box.......Gary Thies has stepped out of the box with faith put into action.

I would encourage ANYONE to consider visiting Mission Central. Gary encourages visitors......he simply asks that people call ahead.......I'll even give you the phone number: 712-882-1029. Mission Central is located near Mapleton, in western Iowa.

2 comments:

Mary Connealy said...

I was gone for ONE DAY! I missed ten posts.

Yesterday was the day in Mission Central!!!!!! Ack.

I was in Omaha. My daughter had a wisdom teeth removed and I went to drive her to the dentist and stay with her until her husband came home. Poor baby!!!!

Are wisdom teeth really THAT BAD.

In our family we have a bit of a running arguement about wisdom teeth.

I have four, my husband has two and the girls are in between. Shelly yesterday had three.

The argument is, if evolution is right then are we as an evolving species, GAINING wisdom teeth or LOSING wisdom teeth.

OF course I, with my four, am on the GAINING side, meaning I am more highly evolved.

My husband with two thinks wisdom teeth are part of our long ago, barbaric ape man days...sorry about that wife, you're a throw back.

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Mary,

I long ago gave up trying to figure out the purpose of wisdom teeth beyond being an annoyance. Our kids have gotten theirs pulled as a high school graduation gift!!

Hopefully, your daughter won't get the dreaded dry sockets.