Thursday, January 15, 2009

Who-o for Hooters

Hey, I bought this cool Hooters t-shirt for $1.oo at the thrift shop in Waverly the other day. Its in new condition......someone must have bought it there in Texas and then brought it home to Iowa and developed second thoughts about wearing it. Imagine that. Printed on the back of the shirt is, "Delightfully tacky yet unrefined." That sounds about my speed.
*
I've never been to a Hooters restaurant, but I've heard about them and would say that a Hooters shirt is a fitting fashion statement for a dairy farm resident. Our farming business revolves around the mammary anatomy of cows; I will wear this shirt with pride while feeding calves and pushing the manure scraper up and down the alleyway in the barn. Working with cows' udders is not my job anymore, however; I gave that up after being kicked soundly one too many times, many years ago.
*
We milk our cows in a stanchion barn, which means the people doing the milking have to sidle in between cows to attach milker hoses to the pipeline, wash udders and teats by hand, and then attach the milker cups to the teats. In case you don't know it, Holstein cows are very big---over 1000 pounds---and if they suddenly go into kicking mode when you're right next to them, you will definitely be affected. One time, a cow went berserk when I walked in next to her......she kicked wildly and I had to escape by climbing over the stanchion frame by her head. I had a black & blue leg for two months. And, I was newly pregnant at the time. That was it......I resigned myself from duties which required stepping right in between cows. To this day, I will not do it. I'm sure there are people around here who consider me lazy or a chicken-livered coward, but I DO NOT CARE. Setting boundaries for oneself in life is crucial to soundness of body and mind.
*
My husband---bless him---sold the berserk cow the next day. But, no matter.....I'd had it. Its not like there aren't enough other jobs to do around this farm. I don't mind being around cows out in the barnyard or in the pasture, but I refuse to walk right between them in the barn. Sometimes, a wife needs to be just as obstinate as a cow.
*
Hey......just for fun......here's the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band:


Just yesterday, I found the MTV website, and had fun watching a few videos. Doing a search is simple......there's a search box near the top of the home page. We've never had cable, so I've never watched MTV. "I want my MTV!" was never heard in this household.

*

The viciously cold temperatures remain with us. The air truly IS vicious outdoors......it starts biting as soon as you set foot out there. The livestock are fine......as long as they have dry bedding, shelter from the wind, and plenty to eat, they get along amazingly well. In this frigid weather, we pray for no breakdowns in equipment that operates outdoors or in a unheated place, such as up in the silo. Repairs are difficult to do in this extreme cold. Husband has a bad head cold right now, too.....not a good time for that. I can't even remember the last time he had a cold.

*

Stay warm, safe, and well.

*

11 comments:

Gail said...

You gotta love farming!
Just think of all the people drinking milk this morning that have no idea what the farmers go through.
I had thought of making ONE of ours into a milker but then I remembered how much fun milking of any kind is.

Russell said...

I remember milking holsteins for many years during my school and college years. I learned if you stand really close to the cow it is a bit harder for her to kick you - though they can still do it! I would move my body into theirs when they got silly and push them a bit off balance. That seemed to help some times...

The only time I was around a Hooters was when my daughter and I were walking around Jacksonville, Florida (while her mom was at a meeting). We took a water taxi to this shopping area and it unloaded next to a Hooters. My daughter asked why those girls did not have many clothes on and I said it must be really hot where they were working (my daughter was about 7 at the time).

Walking past it was as close as I ever got or would want to me to a Hooters (!!). I guess I am not a typical guy but it doesn't do anything for me. Maybe a big reason is because the young women who work there are younger than my daughter! Plus I always felt it was a bit, well... let's say not my style.

But I agree wearing that shirt in the dairy barn is most appropriate! Heh!

Take care.

Egghead said...

My grandfather had a set up like yours where you had to walk between the cows. I can remember my aunt (my moms youngest sister who is my age) being kicked by a cranky old cow. She landed flat against a wall. Scared the poop out of me. But she continued to get right back to her chores. That is a farm girl.

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Gail,

I don't know if that's what it is. Its more like you're born into it and never know enough to get out.

**********

Hi, Russell,

Yeah, my husband is bigger and stronger and not intimidated by cows. Too bad I can't be like him.

Maybe Hooters needs to rethink itself and have some older waitresses, too. Haha.....just kidding.

*********

Hi, Egghead,

Are you sayin' I'm not a farm gal??? LOL

My husband doesn't cook or clean or do laundry or mow lawn or shop or.....you get the idea.....me refusing to walk between cows is a fair enough trade-off.

Years ago, in a farm magazine no less, I read an article advising farm women to learn to draw the line now and then in order to keep their sanity. Good advice for anyone.

Sorry if this sounds ranty.

Laura ~Peach~ said...

I have never been to hooters but there is one in Augusta... I dont drink, I have my own set of boobs, and I am not a huge fan of chicken wings... so... why bother. LOL... as for kicking cows and biting horses I love them as long as they dont live with me... I could visit yours all day and be perfectly fine but... thats enough for me :)

Dr.John said...

Never had any trouble with the cows but the pony kicked my father through the fence once. It was mean.
Like your shirt and it is just right for what your doing.
Hope hubby gets well quick.

Pat - Arkansas said...

I'm trying to catch up on my blog reading today. It's cold here, too, but nothing like what you've got going in the way of weather! Brrrr! We did have a few snow flurries this morning -- while the sun was shining. Strange weather. Your black and yellow hearts design is eye-catching. :)

DesertHen said...

I have been to a Hooter's in Idaho. All of the waitresses were pregnant...except ours!

I have never been kicked by a cow,only calves and a horse. I'm sure the outcome is the same....bruised and sore!! So glad to hear you gave up milking and standing between those cows.

The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band was my son's favorite band the year he was four. My parents took him on a trip that summer...they traveled cross country in the motorhome and my poor parents had to listen to "Fish'in in the Dark" over and over again. To this day, when we hear that song, we sing loudly along with it....=)

Stay warm!

Jeannelle said...

Laura,

You put it perfectly about Hooters. :)

********

Dr. John,

Oh....a kicking pony would not be good, either. Husband's cold is improving, thanks.

*********

Pat,

Nice to hear from you.....you've had some difficult days recently. I need to hop over to your blog and see how Snuggles is coming along. Hopefully, fine!

********

Deserthen,

Oh, hilarious.....a Hooters full of pregnant waitresses.

I'm guessing being kicked by a horse is worse than by a cow. Horses' legs look more flexible and harder-hitting....and sharper hoofs maybe.

And, thanks for the memory of "Fishin' in the Dark"....we heard that in the barn, too. Your son had good taste at four! Kids are so uninhibited at that age.....I recall our kids belting out favorite songs at that age, too.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Definitely not a Hooters gal here. And my husband, God bless him, has no interest in exhibitionist women.

That cow story was scary. I don't blame you for drawing boundaries.

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Ruth,

Your comment was heart-warming on both counts.