Sunday, October 19, 2008

German Tombstones

Last Sunday afternoon I spent time at the church cemetery again, trying to copy down some of the German verses from the older gravestones. Here's how the church appears when one is standing amongst the tombstones:
*
*
*
Another view of the steeple:
*
*
Here are some of the German verses. These did not have biblical zip codes attached, so I'm not sure if they are actually Bible verses or not.
*
RUHE SANFT IN FRIEDEN
VIEL ZU FRUH VON
UNS CASCHIEDEN
*
Selig sind die Toten die im Herrn sterben von nun an.
Ja der Geist spricht, dass sie ruhen von ihrer Arbeit;
denn ihre Werke folgen innen nach.
*
Ich bin der bosen Welt enttlogen, in welcher ihr euch noch belr ubt, mich hat der Herr zu sich gezogen der mich viel mehr als ihr, geliebt: ich schaue Jesu Angesicht, daran gedenkt und weinet nicht.
*
NUN HAB 'ICH UBER WUNDEN KREUZ, LEIDEN, ANGST UN NOTH, DURCH SEIN' HEILIG FUNF WUNDEN BIN ICH VERSOHNT MIT GOTT.
*
Mie selig die Ruhe bei
Jesu im Licht
Tod. Sunde und Schmerzen,
die Kennt man dort nicht
*
HIER RUH UND
SCHLAF ICH GANZ
IN FRIEDEN DEN
DU HERR HIELFST
MIR DAS ICH
SICHER WOHNE
*
ICH HABE LUST
ABZUSCHEIDEN UND BEI
CHRISTO ZU SEIN
*
Du ruhest nun in stillen Frieden
Den unfer Herz im Tod noch liebt
Ach biel zu fruh von uns geschieden
hat tief die Crennung uns betrubt
Doch lag es in des Hochsten, Plan
was Gott tut das ift wohlgetan.
*
*
There were other German verses which had Bible zip codes such as: I Mose, Giob, Apost., Offenb., Jes. I could figure out that I Mose is Genesis, and Giob is Job, but the other three I've not taken time to work on, or even Google, yet. So have at it, Googlers! Or, Babelfishers!
*
*
May God bless you with a pleasant October Sunday!! Enjoy the changing of the seasons!!
*
*
[Update after church service this morning: Guess what!! We had a substitute pastor today.......a German fellow who speaks with a delightful German brogue. He gave me permission to email the German verses to him and he will attempt to translate them!]
*
*


18 comments:

Tammy said...

Beautiful photos. I envy your fall colors. I live in South Texas now where we don't see much of them, and this is the time of year I miss Missouri just because of the colors everywhere there!

Thanks for dropping by my site.

Deb said...

I look at your trees and see that the leaves have already begun to drop. I love to see the changing seasons across the country.
Quite lovely! Thank you!

Louis la Vache said...

And "mooey" greetings back to you from the Right Coast!

Is that church a Lutheran parish? This reminds "Louis" of some of the German Lutheran settlements in his native Texas Panhandle. ("Louis," in addition to being une vache Normande, is also Lutheran...)

Adventure girl said...

Great shots, very interesting. I gave you an award over at my place.

Rambling Woods said...

You have visited all the SW photos? I have never done that. I appreciate you taking the time to visit mine in western NY and to highlight some of the ones you visited. I had to tell you that some of the absolute best times I had as a kid were when my sister and I went to visit our relatives who had a dairy farm. My grandfather had grown up on a farm and we spent summers with them in their log cabin in the country. We would go and spent a couple of days on the farm. Oh gosh..the hay, the cows, the fresh milk..what fun. The days spent in the country are what inspired my nature blog that I keep now...
--Michelle----

Maria said...

Hallo, thank you for visiting my blog! Nice to see your blog, too! What rambling woods says about childhood memories of country life - that's exactly what happened to me in my childhood.
Wish you all the best!

Jeannelle said...

Hi, tammy,

Yes, autumn color changes are great to witness.....like you, I would miss that very much! Thanks for stopping in!

***********

Hi, deb,

Yes....for me, autumn never lasts long enough. The beautiful colors come and go too quickly! Thank you, too, for stopping by this morning.

***********

Hi, Louis who is also Lutheran!

Yes, our church was founded by German Lutherans....it is Missouri Synod. In fact, this morning we had a German pastor fill in for our regular pastor! He talked with a thick German brogue. Fun to hear! And, he said I could email the German tombstone inscriptions to him and he will translate!

**********

Hi, adventure girl,

Oh, you are way TOO kind! I'll be over to take a look. Thanks! Enjoy the day!

***********

Hi, rambling woods!

Oh, that's great you have dairy farm memories! I know there are lots of dairies in the state of New York......we read about them in our dairy magazines. Thanks for stopping in here!

I have 103 SW sites yet to visit.....hopefully later today, but first must be a wife and mother for awhile!


*************

Hi, Maria

Neat! You, too, have farm memories....that's good! Thanks for stopping by to read and comment this morning.


********

Have a wonderful day, everyone!



************

*********

Jeannelle said...

Oh...and, Louis from the Right Coast:

Greetings from The Middle.....The Center!

Russell said...

Beautiful photos! I really like fall a lot.

The old cemeteries certainly have a life of their own, so to speak. It is very interesting to walk through an old cemetery, read the tombstones and wonder about the lives the people lived.

Take care.

Anonymous said...

I'd be interested in what the pastor with knowledge of German translates. I only glimpse a view of the meanings, as some words in German are similar to the Dutch. It is interesting to read what people have written on the tombstones of their beloved. What a hobby (task) you have. Dairymary

indicaspecies said...

I do not know German (though I can read, write and speak in 7 languages). I like your bubbling enthusiasm that shows in this post. All the best.

These are lovely shots. I love those warm colors of the autumn. Have a nice day. Cheers.

- celine

Jeannelle said...

Russell,

You have acquired a FACE!! Cool! I like it!!

*********

Dairymary,

Yes, I will post the translations he provides. It will be interesting. They might be Bible verses, but I'm not sure.


*********

Indicaspecies,

Oh, I am in awe of your multilingualness!! I---sad to say--- only read, write, and speak English. Thanks for stopping by and for your kind words.

JunieRose2005 said...

Hi,

Just want to say you have a very interesting blog! Those church steeples are really nice!

We also have cows at our place here in Ocala, Fl. I blog about them pretty often.

Also I see you like a lot of the music that I do-Jackson Browne, for one!! :)

I'll visit again and hope you'll come to my place often too!


Junie

Judy said...

I love fall...thanks for sharing your photos.

And I was pleased to know that I could still translate most of the German inscriptions you posted...German is my 'almost forgotten' mother tongue.

In German the first five books of the Bible are called the 'Books of Moses'. First Moses is Genesis..second Moses is Exodus...third Moses is Leviticus...and so on.

Jeannelle said...

Hi, junierose,

Cows in Florida??? Really?? Just kidding.....yes, I'll come visit sonn!


**********

Judy,

Oh, that's great that you can decipher the German!! Email me your translations, if you have time and wish to. No hurry. You must have grown up in Germany? Or in a German household?

ChrissyM said...

Lovely photos the colors are fantastic!

DesertHen said...

Beautiful photos. I love the steeple of the church and the lovely fall colors.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by! :)

Then a little translation for you:
RUHE SANFT IN FRIEDEN
VIEL ZU FRUH VON
UNS CASCHIEDEN

At first, the last word is "geschieden".

Rougly translated:
"Rest softly/calmly in peace
Departed too soon from us."

Apost. mean the Acts and Offenb. means the book of Revelations.

If you need more translations, let me know! :)

www.loneranger.vuodatus.net