Monday, March 2, 2009

Siggelkov Park

058

On a whim late Saturday afternoon---when the angle of sunlight seemed right---I ventured a few miles to a county park along the Wapsipinicon River. Notice who is there to greet me……in the upper right corner of the first photo…….two bald eagles, one with the mottling of youth. Giving the photo an autumnal look are the oak trees which have retained their leaves of deep bronze.

Actually, several eagles were flying around near the park entrance. There are three in this next photo……one is at the bottom and only partially caught in the scene:

002 (2)

The Wapsie is still mostly ice-covered:

021

The park road boasted a slippery coating of ice, too:

041

Eagle-eyed observers were still on alert as I exited the scene to head home for evening chores:

016 (2)

In other seasons of the year, I would probably not venture to this park alone in the late afternoon. At heart, I’m nothing but a chicken, worried about encountering people who might be up to no good. Winter’s frigidness, of course, discourages folks from hanging around in the woods, temporarily giving a boost to my wimpy bravado.

I’ll post more photos from Siggelkov Park as the week goes on.

9 comments:

rhymeswithplague said...

Great eagle photos, Jeannelle!

I could not, in my wildest imagination, have come up with names like Siggelkov Park or Wapsipinicon River, although those they must seem so ordinary to you folks there in Iowa. They remind me of Garrison Keillor's river, the Piscacadawadaquoddymoggin, which even he, I don't think, was clever enough to populate with eagles. A wonderful short story waiting to be written.

Pat - Arkansas said...

Fantastic!! I'm glad you conquered your trepidations enough to visit the park. What a serendipitous discovery!

Jeannelle said...

Hi, rhymsie,

Yeah, I hardly notice the unusualness of the names. A family by the name of Siggelkov owns much land around the park and they probably donated the area that became designated as a county park. The local pronunciation is "Siggah-coh"....accent on the first syllable.

*********

Hi, Pat,

Cluck, cluck.....yes, it was an enjoyable little outing....a very cold one, though. Have a great day!

Kat Mortensen said...

I'm with you. I wouldn't be venturing there on my own at any time of year. Take care. You're right, there is always the chance someone may be "up to no good". Sad, but true. Great shots. You need a zoom on those eagles.

Kat

Leenie said...

Nice eagle shots! Birds are such a challenge to photograph. They are so...flighty.:)

Judy said...

So glad you got your eagles. I just love watching them...and had a few sitting not far from my kitchen window yesterday...but if I make any move, they take flight.

Bobby Tall Horse said...

Absolutely beautiful pictures. But, I yearn for the pictures of spring and hope you will be able to post some hints of spring soon!

Mary said...

Wow, I've never seen an eagle before -- that is so cool! Great pics! I love the partially frozen river. :)

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Poetikat,

Actually, I was zooming....with my point and shoot. That's the best I could do. Yeah, it would be fun to have a better camera with a powerful zoom.

*******

Hi, Leenie,

You are so right.....birds are difficult to capture on photo. When I saw these eagles flying around, I braked and rolled down the window and started shooting rather blindly.

********

Hi, Judy,

Wow....you have eagles outside your kitchen window....Wow!

*******

Hi, Bobby Tall Horse,

I'm with you....I would love to find signs of spring. Haven't even seen a robin yet!

*******

Hi, Mary,

Thank you for stopping in. I can't wait to see the water in the river.