Sunday, March 1, 2009

Steeples in Fairbank

*

Formerly, I posted stained-glass window photos on Sundays, but have used up my supply for the time being. Church steeples can be fascinating, too. Here are two from Fairbank, Iowa, a few miles from where I live:

This first picture is of Immaculate Conception Catholic Church, a unique limestone building. Our area has very few limestone structures, making this one extra special. Its location is rather hidden…..you could easily drive through Fairbank and never notice it at all. Only once have I been inside the I.C. church......28 years ago as soloist at a wedding there. I sang from the balcony, which was truly a joy, as I could be heard without being seen. I recall the songs were "Sunrise, Sunset", "Edelweiss", and "The Lord's Prayer". I have no recollection of what the interior of the church looked like.

WestUnionTrip157 (2)

Across the bridge and up the street from the Catholic church is this old Baptist church building, which is well-maintained, though its congregation is teeny-tiny.

WestUnionTrip149

When I was a kid, my piano teacher was a little, elderly lady who was the organist at this church. Our annual recitals were held there. One year my memorized piano solo was, “Turkey in the Straw”; other years it was usually hymn arrangements.

*

I wish I could think of something profound to say, but I cannot. Oh, well. Today is Invocavit, the first Sunday of Lent. May it be a pleasant one for you!

9 comments:

Gail said...

Your pictures have spoken for you.

DesertHen said...

Beautiful shots!

Enjoy your Sunday....=)

Reamus said...

Farm wife,

Something I thought you might enjoy this time of year.


The air was soft, the ground still cold.
In the dull pasture where I strolled
Was something I could not believe.
Dead grass appeared to slide and heave,
Though still too frozen-flat to stir,
And rocks to twitch, and all to blur.
What was this rippling of the land?
Was matter getting out of hand
And making free with natural law?
I stopped and blinked, and then I saw
A fact as eerie as a dream,
There was a subtle flood of steam
Moving upon the face of things.
It came from standing pools and springs
And what of snow was still around;
It came of winter's giving ground
So that the freeze was coming out,
As when a set mind, blessed by doubt,
Relaxes into mother-wit.
Flowers, I said, will come of it.






"April 5, 1974" by Richard Wilbur, from New and Collected Poems. (c) A Harvest Book, 1989. Reprinted with permission.

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Gail,

I hope you're having a pleasant Sunday.....perhaps with a hint of spring in the air. Thanks for stopping in!

********

Hi, Deserthen,

Thanks for your visit, too! Hopefully the weather is nice in your part of the country.

********

Hi, Reamus,

Well, thank you for including that lovely poem. "Blessed by doubt".....that's an unusual phrase.

This afternoon, if one looks out the window at the correct angle---even though the air is very cold---the sun is shining, prompting those fascinating heat ripples to be visible moving across the fields....like a moving mirage.

GeckoGirl said...

Hi Jeannelle;
It's me Teresa, I'm having trouble with my blog....and so I just wanted to let you know I am still here, still blogging. I'm trying to figure out what the heck happened....and thinking maybe when I revamped my template I might have stuck my foot in it then? Anyway, I am here in blog land just wanted to keep you posted on my misfortune. ~Teresa~

MAYBELLINE said...

Thank you for the travellog. I really do enjoy these.

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Maybelline,

Glad you like it! Thanks for stopping in.

Jeannelle said...

Hey, Reamus,

The poem's title might be incorrect.

Kat Mortensen said...

Oh, I do like this series! I have to see your stained glass ones too.
Funny thing, yesterday at mass, I had my eyes shut during the "Our Father" and when I opened them up, the sun was shining through the stained glass window beside us through an image of the Sacred Heart right onto my own. I took it as a message from my father who passed away last November and who was a very devout man. It passed on to another piece of the glass a moment later, but I knew.

I've always loved that piece from "Fiddler on the Roof". I bet you were great - judging by your barn solo.

Kat