Thursday, April 9, 2009

Georgia Comes To Iowa

Shhhh!!! Fred and Bessie are resting, completely exhausted following their long journey from Georgia to Iowa. They are also suffering from a serious case of post-traumatic stress syndrome, which Laura~Peach will explain in her blog as soon as she gets the chance.

8th032 These five lovely ladies were caught without a camera in their possession, earning them a spot in this next photo. Left to right: my mom, my sister, Martha Jean, my sister, and Laura’s Aunt Betty.

8th018 Mmm! The Old Chicago Restaurant in Coralville, Iowa, served up a delicious pizza buffet:

8th005

I absolutely gag to see myself in a photo, but since our kind waiter was willing to snap this one for us……here we all are: 

8th014 (3) 

Aunt Betty embroidered this beautiful iris quilt-top which Laura is taking back to Georgia to be quilted.

8th020

What a delight to get acquainted with Laura, Martha Jean, and Aunt Betty! We heard interesting stories of Georgia and the Hannibal, Missouri, area, where Laura grew up and Aunt Betty lives. Aunt Betty has a friend whose grandfather knew Samuel Clemons/Mark Twain (who lived in Hannibal, Missouri)!

8th016 (2)

Laura said they will leave Hannibal on Friday for the drive home to Georgia.  May they be blessed with safe driving while traveling on the busy Easter weekend.

*

May you, dear readers, have a blessed day today on Maundy Thursday.  Tomorrow’s Good Friday church service is my favorite of the year……we dress and act somberly in honor of the day Christ died and after the service we walk out of the church in complete silence.  If nothing else gets to me during the entire church year……that walking out in silence always manages to do it.  I appreciate the fact that Good Friday is not the type of holiday to be commercialized.  No gifts, no candy, no cards……just a meaningful, mindful silence. 

12 comments:

Gigi Ann said...

Oh, how great, you got to meet Laura and friends. It sounds like you all had a wonderful visit and made a wonderful memory.

Caution/Lisa said...

What a great adventure for you all! But poor Fred and Bessie just look done in. (Are they in your mom's hair in the picture??) Hope they quickly adjust to living in Iowa.

That quilt top is gorgeous.

And lastly, get into more pictures. You're a beauty :)

Pat - Arkansas said...

Looks like you ladies had a wonderful time getting to know each other. What fun! Poor Fred & Bessie. Tuckered out, were they? A few days rest, and getting to meet their relatives that reside on your farm should restore their good spirits ---but, they do get into mischief if not watched closely. You've got your work cut out for you with those two.

We observed Tenebrae at church last night, and left in silence, which (leaving in silence) we will do after the Maundy Thursday and Good Friday services as well. On Saturday, all the ladies of the Altar and Flower Guilds will meet to dress the church in Easter finery and dozens of potted Easter lilies.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely time you seem to have had. Tomorrow will be a busy day for us all. I think I'm in church from noon til about 5 or so...I look forward to it, and don't if you get my drift. Blessings, Jeannelle.

rhymeswithplague said...

I ain't a-disputin' Aunt Betty at all, nosirree, but that friend of hers whose father knew Mark Twain might have been exaggeratin' jest a tad. Mr. Clemens/Twain died 99 years ago this month at the age of 74. I ain't a-callin' that friend no liar or anythin' of the sort, I'm jest a-sayin', it don't rightly add up 'lessen that friend o' hers is quite advanced in years his or herself or the dad was jest a sprout when he knew Mark Twain.

rhymeswithplague said...

Or both.

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Gramma Ann,

Yes, a wonderful and unique afternoon it was!

*******

Hi, Caution,

You want me to gag to death, don't you!!

You better believe it that Fred & Bessie are done in. Just wait until you hear what happened to them in Hannibal.....Laura will relay the story on her blog, I'm sure!

********

Hi, Pat,

Most likely Fred & Bessie are resting and refueling to get into more trouble.

Enjoy the wonderful services and activities of this meaningful few days. I've heard of Tenebrae, but have never been to such a service.

*******

Hi, Sherry,

Yes, I hear you. Similarly, on Easter we have two services, a breakfast, and then I'm supposed to have dinner cooked for everyone, too. Definitely, I look forward to it all and I don't!! Sounds like exhaustion to me.

*******

Hi, rhymsie,

You make me realize that I may have heard Aunt Betty wrong or my recollection of what she said is incorrect. It was probably her friend's GRANDfather who knew Samuel Clemons. Thank you for pointing that out! I will add the "grand-".

Flea said...

Poor Fred and Bessie look spent, but so peaceful. Thank you for letting them rest at your place. :)

I love your description of your Good Friday service.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Oh, it looks like you had a fun time.

Jeannelle said...

Oh, Flea....wait until you hear the experience Fred and Bessie had....

*******

Hi, Ruth,

Yes, it was a very enjoyable afternoon!

Debbie said...

My first visit. Have to follow Fred and Bessie and the first photo had me "Awwwwwwwing" outloud and just grinning :) Adorable!

I love to read about blog friends visiting and this is a great post!

I can't wait to read about Laura and her visit to Hannibal!

Happy Easter :)

DesertHen said...

How fun and how cool!The pizza looked yummy...=)

The cows are so cute..=)

What a beautiful quilt top!

Looks like you ladies enjoyed yourselves....so glad you were able to meet.