Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Gifts From Waterloo, Belgium!

waterloo belgium gifts

It seems I somehow fell off the blog wagon, bumped my head, and fell unconscious for awhile. I’ve suddenly revived enough to post a quick update here, though.

Seriously, everything is fine here…..just overwhelmingly busy.

We finished up with hay baling yesterday; two of my son’s friends were here to help. As I was fixing dinner for them, the mailman’s vehicle drove in, honking……and, I knew he must be delivering a box too large to leave at the mailbox. And, yes, that absolutely was the case……it was a boxful of gifts from one of my blog readers, Regis of Waterloo, Belgium! The above photo shows the items he sent…….a card and kind message; a very nice pottery “WATERLOO” 1815 Belgian Beer mug and wooden lid; a travel book and brochures from his home area near Waterloo, Belgium; a bar of “Cote D’Or Mousse Intense Expresso” dark chocolate (M-m-m-m); a package of yummy cone-shaped candies of which I don’t know the name (They are fruity and sweet…..Regis, please let us know the name of them in a comment, if you have time!).

Thank you so much, Regis, for your kindness! I’ve enjoyed looking through the interesting photos in the travel book. Especially, I’m fascinated by the Lion Mound at the Waterloo Battlefield where Napoleon was defeated. Here’s some photos of it on Flickr.

*

Now I suddenly have the song, Waterloo---sung by ABBA---running through my head. Well, I met my “Waterloo” on today’s date, 31 years ago. That’s right, today is my wedding anniversary. And, I live near Waterloo, Iowa! How about that! Pretty cool coincidence, eh?

*

Ah, isn’t marriage great? It is, though my attitude about it tends to zig-zag back and forth. On some Sundays when I peruse the engagement and wedding photos in the newspaper, I think, “Oh, isn’t love great! Hooray for these couples!”……and then, again on other Sundays, I think, “Why on earth do these couples want to get married? Ack.”

Whenever I think of marriage, I think of Tevye and Golde singing Do You Love Me? in Fiddler on the Roof:


“It doesn’t change a thing”……that’s my favorite line of the song. Once you’re married…..haha…..guess what…..you’ve made a commitment, and love or not doesn’t change that. Some days you feel the love, some days you just do the things that add up to love, as Golde points out.

*

Here’s one more view of the Waterloo 1815 Belgium Beer Mug:

waterloo mug

Once again.....Thank you, Regis!

*

A toast to a great day for all of you blog readers and a toast to Husband and me on our 31 years of wedded "bliss"!

*

13 comments:

Sempringham said...

Thirty-one years is an achievement. Congratulations!

Laura ~Peach~ said...

congratulations!!!!!! 31 years is awesome!!!! love the package its great!

Egghead said...

What great gifts and happy anniversary. Many more to come!

Gigi Ann said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! That is great. I hope you have a great day, year and life together for many more years to come.

The gifts look wonderful. Isn't it great to get unexpected gifts? Just can't wait to open them to see what is in there. Have a great day!

rhymeswithplague said...

We have you beat by 15 years. All of your various feelings about marriage will only magnify as time passes.

Was Waterloo, Iowa, named for Waterloo, Belgium, or for something else entirely?

Trisha said...

Happy Anniversary, and congratulations on 31 wonderful years!

Deb said...

Why am I singing that song from Momma Mia...Waterloo now???
Happy Anniversary, Girl!!!

Caution/Lisa said...

What fun you must have had opening that mail from Belgium! What a sweet friend.

Happy anniversary to you and your husband. May the next 31 years have more "Hoorays" than "Acks." Hope someone else cooks for you tonight:)

Leenie said...

What a fun surprise! Aren't good blog friends fun? How would we otherwise make such connections with such great people.

Congratulations on your anniversary. Best wishes for many more good years. Yes, and I hope you get a moment away from the farm to celebrate with your hubby.

Nancy said...

Happy Anniversary!! You and hubby should fill that mug to the top tonight and share it. I'll remember to drink a toast to you tonight too. How cool to get that box in the mail. I'd hide that chocolate if I were you.

Girl Tornado said...

31 years is an awesome achievement, a belated congrats from me! And what fun to receive a package all the way from Belgium.

Kathleen said...

My husband and I will be celebrating our 33rd anniversary traveling in Europe. Belgium is one of our stops. We're spending three weeks, mainly staying with our son's family in Amsterdam. Looking for places in Belgium is how I stumbled on your find blog. You can check out my blog and see our itinerary at http://retiredintherockies.blogspot.com/2009/07/planning-and-anticipation-europe-round.html if you're interested. I'll be following yours. It's a great site. Farms are the backbone of our nation.

sjm said...

Happy Anniversary! Hope you have a few minutes of quiet time with hubby!