Sunday, February 17, 2008

Its an Icy Reminiscere

Today is "Reminiscere", the Second Sunday of Lent. Last Sunday was called "Invocavit".......I'm just kind of fascinated by these words, because they are new to me. Evidently these titles apply to the first phrase of the appointed Psalm for the Day. Last week the phrase was, "He shall call upon me....",(invoke means "to call"), and this week the first phrase of the Psalm is, "Remember, O Lord, Thy tender mercies....", (reminisce having a meaning similar to "remember").

Anyway, the morning started out with icy rain, then snow took over, and now around noon we have strong winds, making for blizzard conditions. Church services were cancelled throughout our area.

This photo was from earlier this morning:

These evergreen branches below are laden down with ice.....




Some of the branches get frozen to the snow on the ground below them.......


Maybe I'll forego hanging laundry out today.........


Fortunately, the temperatures today are in the 20's ABOVE zero. I would guess the wind chill is around 0 degrees, which is relatively tolerable if you have to be out doing something for a little while.
To whomever may read this......here's hoping the weather is pleasant in your part of the world on this "Reminiscere"!

4 comments:

Country Girl said...

What? You're not going to hang out your laundry today? Not balmy enough for you?

I am still laughing at your clothesline picture. I read my husband your entire post and now we're both thankful for the dreary day we're having here. At least it's not ice and snow and blizzard conditions. It's just cold. And damp. And a bit windy.

Oh, Spring can't come soon enough for all of us!!

Anonymous said...

slacker. Any excuse for not doing the laundry, huh? ;-)

I hate ice storms. They look beautiful, they photograph well, but I hate that we usually lose trees to them.

nannykim said...

Man, no church 2 weeks in a row, right? It was 70 here today--had a little bit of rain. Got to walk to church--quite nice!! ps. I won't rub it in.

Jeannelle said...

countrygirl & kasey,

Don't worry, I did throw in a load of laundry today.....aren't we lucky to have automatic washers and dryers!!

nannykim,

Your inspiring post was my church for today. And I loved your oceanside photos.