Monday, February 18, 2008

Sun Dogs Over Iowa

Boots full of snow was my reward for running out in the snowdrifts to snap this photo. The sun dogs are fascinating, but their true message is: "WE APPEAR ONLY WHEN IT IS EXTREMELY COLD, SO GO BACK INSIDE!!!"

The wind continues to blow, affecting visibility and causing roads to be blocked with drifts. School is cancelled AGAIN! The kids will be going to school until July, I'm afraid! Tonight's district basketball game will surely be postponed, too.


Wherever you are, enjoy your day, no matter what kind of weather lurks outside your door!

6 comments:

Country Girl said...

Not wanting to appear to look like an idiot, I googled "sun dogs in iowa" because I've never heard of such a thing. And look, the second one down, it's your blog!

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GFRC_enUS202US203&q=sun+dogs+of+iowa

Is this something that occurs often?

Jeannelle said...

country girl,

Cool!....er, cold, I mean!

I see Wikipedia has scientfic info about the "sun dog" (parhelia) phenomena.

Jeannelle said...

country girl,

We see sun dogs only when the temperatures are very cold, the sun is shining, and there are ice crystals in the air to reflect the light.....all three occurring this morning, obviously!

Rachel said...

As informative as Wikipedia is it isn't very reliable. The website allows others to change information that they "know" or "found" at another site. So the information read may not be the real deal. However, I'm saying that the information on sun dogs is incorrect I'm just informing you of what I've learned so far in some of my classes involving research.

Very cool picture mom! I don't get to experience those sort of things here in town...only in the country.

Jeannelle said...

Gulp! Thanks, Rachel, for that tidbit about Wikipedia!

nannykim said...

never heard of sun dogs either; now on the other hand it was in the 70's again today---not that I would stup to rubbing it in or anything ;-)