Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Collecting Rocks & Links

Here is the pretty rock I found in one of our fields several years ago. I didn't know what it was called, but it was very unique, with the striations and all, so I kept it displayed on a ledge in our entryway. (The rock is about 3 x 2-1/2" and 1" thick.) One day, the Schwan's truck driver was standing in the entryway, patiently (or impatiently, probably) waiting for me to decide what to buy. Suddenly, he pointed to the rock and said, "Where'd you get that Great Lakes agate?"

So that's when ignoramus-me found out what this rock is. "Lake Superior Agate" is another name for it. Evidently, a slowly-roving glacier delivered it to our field ages ago.

Another time, one of my daughter's friends was here and saw it and said, "Wow.....where'd you get the nice Great Lakes Agate?" He's a rock collector, I then found out.

***************

***************

Below is the 5-pound jasper rock that was shown next to Ollie's face in a photo in yesterday's post. After pulling it out of the creekbed, I excitedly took the rock to the barn to show Husband. He examined it and said, "Uh......it looks like a liver." Hm-m, a somewhat deflating description of my treasure. He's correct, though, it looks like a piece of raw meat, especially when moistened, as it is in this photo. (Spouses are good for being honest and keeping us well-grounded, that's for sure.......and it works both ways.......husband keeps wife grounded; wife keeps husband grounded.......for good balance!)



************

************

Am I fascinated by red rocks? Maybe. The two largest ones are about 2 x 2" and 1-1/2" thick. They're so bright and colorful...... I can't resist picking them up!!


******************
******************
******************

Hey, I did a little bit of blog exploring yesterday morning......groping here and there in blogworld. Gracious Acres blog has some unique views of the Capitol building in Des Moines in her latest post. Added to my bloglist are blogs from Illinois and Arkansas, and a couple more from Newfoundland........I can't get enough of those lovely seascapes. There's also a scenic blog from France......the posts are in French, so, of course, I can't understand them, but beautiful photos are included, which are easily interpreted!! They're a form of common language, it seems.

If anyone knows of other scenery blogs from other countries......clue me in with a link to add to my collection. And, the Iowa blogs list is fairly short, and could use some additions......especially, I'm looking for rural Iowa bloggers. One thing I enjoy in a photo blog is when the pictures show the author's own vicinity or state. There are sights/sites of interest and beauty everywhere........especially, even close to one's own home.....wherever that home may be.





9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your blog. :-)

Jeannelle said...

k.robles,

Thank you for stopping by and for your kind words!

Anonymous said...

But my life is just one square mile and it's all sub-divisions and traffic! Not very picture worthy and all our rocks were trucked in to cover the weeds. Pretty mundane.

Darlene Franklin said...

Jolene LOVED rocks. Have you seen those blogs? We kept most of her collection, and threw away a few that didn't interest our uneducated eyes. She had one that smelled like .... sulfur. And looked like a sponge. Do you know what that is?

Jeannelle said...

caution,

But, its your home and that makes it beautiful!!

Because of cows, we don't travel, so I'm finding out how to travel through looking at blogs. Everyplace has interesting sites/sights, including your area and region, I'm sure.......bridges, trees, buildings, landmarks, historical sites, statues, parks, flowers, etc., etc. And, even little things in the backyard!


************

Darlene,

That's nice your daughter liked rocks.....you can keep some around in special places as a memory of her.

Possibly that rock actually is a piece of sulfur?

Take care and God Bless!

Anonymous said...

You really are something special! I am always impressed with how gifted you are in seeing the details that make life fascinating. Since you don't live in my 1 square mile life, I'm glad you have this blog :)

P.S. I've been missing your word of the day posts!

nannykim said...

Cool rocks on this post and the one below. Some areas have such a diversity or at least some cool rocks--where we live we have none--really!! It is sand and clay here--we have to travel westward toward the mountains to get some. When we hike or visit other areas we sometimes bring them back. I loves the polished stones in beautiful pastel colors I got from a lake in Montana--I have put them in a big glass thing with a candle.

nannykim said...

heh, heh--I said "I loves" --makes me think of the way golum (sp) spoke in the trilogy. (my precious)

Jeannelle said...

Hey, caution,

What a nice comment! Thanks! I forgot to say that you shouldn't downplay your "trucked in" rocks.....the rocks on our farm were trucked in too.....by a glacier! So what's the difference, really?!

And, oh yes, you had to bring up the "Word of the Day". Lately, I've been leery of using them, afraid they describe my blog: "epigone" - an inferior imitator......and, "gimcrack" - a showy, but useless or worthless thing! But, thanks for reminding me....I enjoy seeing a new word everyday and should return to working them into blog posts.

**********************

nannykim,

Great to have you back!! The photos on your blog yesterday were so very nice. Wow.....so much beautiful scenery! Did you go to Flathead Lake? Is that where you got the rock? Husband's brother lives there, in Polson.