Sunday, April 6, 2008

P.Buckley Moss & Motor, IA

If I were all grown up and could do as I please, I would motor to Motor Mill, shown here in this photo. It is a special place in northeast Iowa, hidden on a winding gravel road along the Turkey River east of the town of Elkader, about one hour from where I live. (Photo from Motor Mill website)

And here's a news flash about about Motor Mill: The artist P. Buckley Moss is featuring the mill area site in one of her newest paintings, entitled "Remembering Yesteryear". The painting is being unveiled this weekend at the P. Buckley Moss Annual Collectors' Convention in Riverside, Iowa. Click yourself to Moss' website to see her stylized rendition of Motor Mill. Visit the Motor Mill website to learn about the village of Motor, Iowa, and the hopeful restoration plans. Its a unique historical place that begs to be preserved.
*****************************
The towering mill was built in 1868 out of limestone quarried from the neighboring hillside. Our family has stopped there a few times over the years, while meandering around on Sunday afternoon drives in the scenic northeast Iowa hills. The mill, river, and bridge provide a fantastic photo opportunity.......even on a cloudy day like today, with my fave, the bare tree branches, as a frame and backdrop. Oh, well, today I'll just dream of going there......its more sensible and economical to stay home and doze in front of the TV on a Sunday afternoon.

6 comments:

Russell said...

Nice post about the mill! I have not been there, either, but I have put it on my "to do" list for this summer. From the Des Moines area it is, well, a long ways away but will be worth the drive.

I really liked the photo of your cat and the kittens!

Mary Connealy said...

Jeanelle, Here is an iowa artist I know. We used to be neighbors, stay at home farm wives before she painted or I wrote books.
She's from north central Iowa.
Cooper

Anonymous said...

I love P. Buckley Moss. We have one of her works of a cider mill here in the Detroit area and another from the small town in Kentucky where I was raised. She really has painted everywhere!Haven't thought about her for a while. Thanks for reminding me.

Jeannelle said...

Russell....yes, be sure and visit the Motor Mill area.....its one of a kind.

Wow, Mary.....there must have been fine arts seeds in your neighborhood's water supply!

caution.....a friend of mine has done cross-stitch projects of some of Moss' paintings....I've seen the kits in stores.

Country Girl said...

Sometimes it's more fun to NOT be sensible. Do try to get there, though. I'd love to see it!

Sherry said...

Neat Jeannelle, I had forgotten about the Mill. Parker took me there years ago when we were up that way looking for a seedsaver nursery. It was lovely inside as well as outside as I recall.

The kittens look so darling! We have plenty though, lol. But I could trade our hell cat perhaps with the right offer. Just kidding.