Saturday, April 12, 2008

Stone from Uglich, Russia

A couple of people who are near and dear to me are on a riverboat tour in Europe right now. They travel out of the U.S. about once a year. Last year they cruised the Volga River in Russia, between Moscow and St. Petersburg. One of their stops along the Volga was at the town of Uglich.

I always ask them if they'll just pick up a small pebble or stone off the ground for me from some interesting place, as a souvenir. Last year they brought me this rock from near the "St. Dmitry on the Blood" Church in Uglich, Russia.
Click on this ---- St. Demetrios on the Blood Church in Uglich, Russia ---- to see a photo of this colorful red church with blue onion domes. It was built in 1690 on the spot where Ivan the Terrible's ten-year-old son, Dmitry, was murdered in 1591. Gulp......someone cut his throat in the palace courtyard......gulp. I think that many terrible things happened during Czar Ivan the Terrible's reign. That's how things were back then.......and we think things are terrible now.

Here also is the Wikipedia page for Uglich, Russia. This year my relatives are supposed to bring me a stone from the ground near the church in Wittenberg, Germany, where Martin Luther went anailing the Ninety-five Theses to the door way back on October 31, 1517, sparking the Reformation.



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The only appropriate comment is, "Jeannelle, you rock!""

Mary Connealy said...

That's so neat of an idea to bring a souvenier like that.

Are you SURE it's legal?

Just asking since you just admitted to it on a website....

Jeannelle said...

Not so fast, rhymeswithplague.....I may be guilty of a crime: Read on:

To Mary the Killjoy, :D

You're right......maybe its not legal.....I honestly never gave that a thought. But it sailed through customs without a hitch. But, the wrong person could read this, I suppose, and soon people will be searched for souvenir pebbles and stones. Sorry. :(

Anonymous said...

Taking valuable antiquities from their countries of origin (Greece, Egypt, etc.) is illegal now, and some countries are demanding that museums return the things taken. But unless your souvenir pebbles are valuable antiquities, or chipped from a national monument or something, I wouldn't think you have anything to worry about.

Jeannelle said...

Whew, rhymeswithplague, thanks for taking the worry from my mind. I'll simply trust that my traveling relatives will be sensible.

Sherry said...

Jeannelle, we do think alike. A good many years ago, a friend went to Europe and Italy. I told her to pick me up a few pebbles when she toured the Amphitheatre. I muse if some great historical figure once upon a time actually set foot upon my little pebbles. :)