Thursday, May 1, 2008

FOR SALE: Hyacinths

Hi, ya! Here's some hyacinths for sale for only $89,000. By the way, for that price, you also get the house they are growing next to!


Husband and his brothers are in the process of trying to sell their dad's house in a nearby small town. Father-in-Law passed away on his birthday, late last November.



My husband is co-executor of the estate. The other co-exec lives out-of-state, meaning most of the estate-settling legwork is done by Husband and his younger brother who lives in this area. Believe me........I stay out of the estate proceedings as much as possible! The other day, however, I was asked to play realtor and show the house to prospective buyers. As I sat on the porch, waiting for a family to arrive, these hyacinths next to the foundation shouted, "Aren't we pretty......take our picture!"


H H H H H H H H H


My son and his fiancee, who will marry in August, are also house-shopping......in the Quad-Cities area. They were excited over the weekend when they found a lovely, fully-remodeled split level in Bettendorf in their price range. They put in an offer, and then another offer, and were told that it was tentatively accepted. Then last night, my future daughter-in-law, who lives in our area, phoned to tell us that a cash counter-offer came in, pushing them out of the picture. They were quite disappointed, but I guess that's how it goes in the house-buying scene, something I've never been involved my entire life. Husband and I rented a house near this farm when we got married and then eventually moved here when his parents were ready to semi-retire. (A true farmer never totally retires, you know!)


So, if any of you reading this are in the midst of trying to buy or sell a house.......you have my limited understanding and full best wishes!!






2 comments:

Sherry said...

You really should put a pic up of the house Jannelle and outbuildings. YOu just never know who is poking around and might be looking. I know the misery of selling a family house. I sold my dads, and pretty much just gave it away to be done with it. I was heading out of state to Connecticut and definitely didn't want to deal with it from a distance. I've sold 3 houses in all, and none was pleasant.

The hyacinths were lovely though!

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Sherry!

We did get a phone call from the couple I showed the house to.......they're very interested! They are from the Des Moines area and will be back this weekend to talk seriously with my husband. We're hoping it works out!