Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Raking Hay Assignment

Well, I'm pretty well sun-baked and worn out, but will quickly load the raw footage of yesterday's hay raking assignment.
***********
Husband and Son were chopping and cutting hay, respectively........in tractors equipped with cabs and air conditioning. Ma (me) was relegated to the old clodhopper, Johnny-Popper, John Deere 630. I guess the menfolk of this farm were offering me a free tanning session.......how thoughtful of them!!
I wish some knowledgable person could give info in the comments about how old the JD 630's are. I'm guessing they were new in the early 1950's or so. I could be wrong about that. I'm quite sure this tractor is older than me, and I'll be 50 VERY, VERY soon. (So soon, its making my head spin!)
Below you can see the rake which turns each swath of hay over and kind of fluffs it up so the warm sunshine and the breeze can work their magic and allow the hay to dry enough to be baled.

Good grief! You can tell what an antique this tractor is. These gauges look ancient, and I don't believe any of them work anymore. The fuel arrow stays on "E" all the time. Maybe the other ones are operating, but I don't think so........they just jerk back and forth.

Below is the gear shifting apparatus.........you push that metal arm thing into the gear slot you want. I was instructed to drive in "5th" for this hay raking session. Good! That's fairly speedy and I like that!

Here's the view from the seat........the steering wheel is big, requires two hands to hold it, and has a twirly knob, which is not in the photo.......I rarely use it anyway. That's for the skilled guys to use when they back wagons up and such, which is not my cup of tea. The shorter lever with a knob on top is the throttle.......Vrrm! Vrrm! Fun! Fun! The taller lever is the clutch.......pushing it forward makes the tractor start moving, and pulling it back again makes the tractor stop. Tractors don't have foot accelerators-----at least none do that I've ever driven.......so when you are driving a tractor, your feet are free.......Yee-ha!!You can really kick up your heels when the tractor hits pocket gopher holes and mounds!

The sun was beating down strong all afternoon, and a couple hours into my assignment I decided to go back to the house to rummage for a straw hat. What do you think?? Quite country cool and stylish.......wouldn't you say!!? A cap or hat on the head......always the pinnacle of farm fashion.

There I was, putt-zing along, lost in a dreamy reverie, brought on, no doubt by breathing the hot exhaust fumes emanating from that upright muffler, when suddenly...... what do you know.......there's company in the hay field! Husband has appeared with the round baler and that means the raking is doing its job, and the hay is dry enough to bale. Johnny-Popper and I are fulfilling our assignment!!!
Here's a somewhat clearer view of the round baler, spouting dust out of its top. (Have you figured it out yet........tractor driving must not be too difficult if I can snap photographs while driving!)

Look carefully at the photo below, or click it to enlarge the picture. It shows the baler "pooping" out a bale! Isn't that exciting!? The back half of the baler raises up, and the completed bale rolls out. (The bale is on the ground there behind the baler.) Husband can set the baler to make different sizes of bales.......the ones made this time are about medium-sized.

Here's a close-up of a newly-made bale. The baler forms the hay into a tight roll, as you can see. Plastic netting called "netwrap" surrounds the outside of the bale to hold it together. Izzy says........"I'm getting tired of holding this bale in place. Hurry up and finish writing this post, so I can step away and get this bale rolling!"


(If you think I'm pulling your leg.......you're correct! The bales don't roll very easily.......they are very heavy!)

*********

I hope you enjoyed this mini-seminar on hay raking. Its a tad bit different than raking leaves......its more like giving the hay a coiffure!

6 comments:

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I don't know anything about farming, but I have to tell you, that tractor looks like it belongs on Green Acres. LOL

And now I have lived to see a bailer "pooping." Thanks for the smile over breakfast.

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Ruth,

Touche.....your comment gave me a smile, too!.....from your mention of Green Acres! I haven't thought of that show for a long time!

Anonymous said...

You had my boys from the pooping reference on. They are all yours now because you dared to say their favorite word.

Now for their question: they want to know how many dogs you have. They are also pointing out to me that we have NO dogs at this time...

And when exactly is that birthday, Miss Jeannelle?

Pat - Arkansas said...

Ever curious, I Googled the John Deere 630 and found the following information. You're right on when you said it was 50 years old. If you don't care to follow the link, I'll just say it was mfg. in 1958-1960, and produced in (either) Waterloo, IA or Monterey, Mexico. We'll hope yours is an Iowa product!
I enjoy learning about the farming side of your life, and I wish I could bottle the smell of fresh cut hay; it's delicious.

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/0/5/51-john-deere-630.html

Jeannelle said...

caution,

Oh, I'm tickled to have won over your boys! If they only knew how much of that authentic "p" word stuff there is on this farm! And it requires scraping, scooping, etc.,.....thus,it might become one of their least favorite words if they lived here!!

The white dog in the photo, Izzy, is a visitor here for a few days. She's loving the farm, though, and may not want to go back to town when my daughter and her husband get back from their vacation. Otherwise, we have two Australian Shepherds of our own.

Have a great day!


***********

Pat,

Thanks for looking up the tractor info!! I was wrong in thinking the 630 was made in the early 1950's. Looks like I might possibly be older than the tractor......yipes! I was born in June of '58, and the 630 might have been made in '59 or '60. Well.....it LOOKS really OLD, but RUNS really GOOD......so maybe that can become my motto!

Yes, I hope, too, that it was made at the Waterloo John Deere factory, which is not far from here! I once worked at JD for awhile many years ago.....I must blog about that sometime. Do you know that the John Deere company started out making plows in Illinois, and later bought the Waterloo Boy tractor factory in Waterloo, Iowa. The forerunner of the Waterloo Boy tractor was invented by a farmer near tiny Froelich, Iowa......northeast of here.

Have a wonderful day!

Anonymous said...

Drats, another error when I tried to post my comment. I wanted to say happy birthday. I loved the bit on stonehenge and think that the ancestoral link is the favored idea now. I think they are finding an ancient town around the area. Also its very weird about the solstice and it being on your birthday. Bodes well for you in the upcoming year no doubt.!