Saturday, September 27, 2008

Silage, Poop, Birds, Hoofs

*
Well.......what could those four items possibly have in common? Silage......Poop.......Birds.........Hoofs? On this warm September Saturday, they are all FLYING around on this farm!! Add my feet to that list, too! This post serves to allay your fears that perhaps ALL I do is blog.
*
First of all........corn is being chopped, by our neighbor in his weirdo GREEN tractor. The chopped corn is blown into the wagon trailing behind........sort of like "flying" into the wagon, for my post purposes, anyhow.
*
There are two active fliers in this next photo: birds and cow manure; plus one potential group of fliers: heifer hoofs; plus one pair of fliers you can't see......my feet! I'm out in the pasture trying to round up the heifers, which is a bit more difficult than usual with all the noisy tractor activity going on which tends to spook them. In the background you can see my son running the manure spreader.......with cow poop flying!
*
The dogs and I chased the herd to the end of the pasture, hoping a couple of them would decide to gallop the right way and lead the rest in the correct direction toward the gate. That's usually all it takes, although this morning things didn't go so smoothly. Let's just say I've had my exercise for the day, and the day is not even half done yet!

*


*

These flocks of cowbirds that hang around the cattle herds in the fall are just fascinating to watch......and, TRY to take pictures of! Click on this next one to enlarge it and see how bizarre the birds look! Which reminds me........anyone ever watch Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds?! Sorry to put thoughts of that movie in your head!

*

Caution........I think this next one's for you! This was lying out in the pasture this morning! I think it must have been attached to the back of some piece of machinery as a "caution" or "slow-moving vehicle" sign.


*

Here's a video of corn silage moving from the wagon into the blower which forces the silage up the pipe and into the top of the silo. I'm happy to stay right here on the ground......thank you very much!

*

Now........I must get busy and fix dinner for all these men who are roaring around in tractors!

Have a great day!

*

*

6 comments:

DesertHen said...

Your feet really are flying today......you are one busy lady. And here I sit at my computer visiting blogs.......I really should get up and go do something.....like get more tea and visit more blogs......=)

The birds are amazing......so many of them!!!! I watched "The Birds" as a teenager......It left me not liking large flocks of birds for a very long time.....=P

Have a great weekend and give those flying feet a little rest......=D

Laura ~Peach~ said...

THat flock of birds is an awesome photo I love it! Busy busy busy always on the farm! Have a wonderful weekend!

rhymeswithplague said...

I have no alternate title for "Silage, Poop, Birds, Hoofs" except perhaps "How Green Was My Valley." :)

Jeannelle said...

That chopped cornfield where my son was hauling manure this morning is now disked up and drilled with rye seed! Its been a good day.....lots of things accomplished!

************


deserthen,

I hope you did go ahead and have more tea and visit more blogs!

**********

laura,

Thanks for stopping in!

********

rhymsie,

Yah, I most likely will keep the title I started out with this time!

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I love those photos of the birds. (And no, I've never seen the movie. But I have read the novella.)

Egghead said...

You are one busy lady. Those birds are amazing.