Thursday, April 16, 2009

Crazy for Crocus

cowscrocus

Well, if you must know, I have been quite leery of taking Fred and Bessie to the barn to meet the “real” cows, mostly because of the relatively small stature and fragile build of our guest cows. The “real” Holsteins will seem like Goliaths to them! Do you think Fred and Bessie have the psychological fortitude to handle such an encounter? Its a worry, that’s for sure.

This morning, F & B were allowed to meander close to the barn, but not inside. They managed to get lost in the crocus patch near the barn door…..can you imagine that! With great amusement I watched as they circled and sniffed amongst the shoots and closed-up blooms, searching for the way out of the grove of crocuses.

cowscrocus2 Finally, I convinced Fred and Bessie to follow me into the calf building, where to my great shock they proceeded to frighten poor Miss Muffin so badly that she hid in terror behind the fence. Wow…..its becoming apparent that Fred and Bessie are surprisingly brazen and intimidating despite their miniature size. Muffin confided to me later that she’d never been so scared in her whole month of life. I guess there's no need to worry about Fred and Bessie being cowed by the full-size cows in the barn. Obviously, F & B can hold their own. Previous hosts taught them well!

calfmuffin2 I decided to try and appease F & B with some calf feed, but they continued to glare menacingly at Muffin the calf.

cowsfeed2

Finally, Muffin summoned the courage to show her whole face. I was so proud of her! She gave Fred and Bessie the eye until they reluctantly turned their attention to the feed mixture in front of them.

cows muffin calf

Crunch, crunch, crunch…..oats, corn, molasses. Fred and Bessie said the grainy-sweet dish was “ok”, though not quite on par with what Laura served them in Georgia. They said my cooking will do in a pinch. Humphft!

cowsfeed By afternoon, Fred and Bessie were napping and the crocuses had opened their petals wide to bask in the bright sunshine. FINALLY, we had a WARM day!

crocus milk can Two young friends happened to be spending a few hours here at the farm while their mom ran errands. By delightful chance, the girls were dressed in colors which perfectly matched the crocuses, so we had to take some pictures to commemorate the occasion!

crocus girls

Oh, I like these darker purple blooms! Am I crazy for crocuses right now? You betcha! Last year, this same crocus patch didn’t amount to a hill o’ beans, so I am thrilled at how vigorous and lovely they are this spring. Of course, the blossoms won’t last much longer, so we’d better make the most of them now. The only way to do that is LOOK at them often and take lots of pictures.

purple crocus The younger girl is almost three years old; she kept telling me she wanted to go see “the cabins”. The “cabins”? I finally figured out that she was talking about the “calves”. In the past, she and her sister have been scared out of their wits by our two enthusiastic dogs who simply want to be friendly with the little girls. Can’t you just hear Buster excitedly pleading, “I’m really nice……please pet me……let’s be pals.”

calf

Ok….somehow I will force myself to not post anymore crocus photos, but I may keep running out to the barn to gaze down at the beautiful colors as the petals move through their various closed and open poses throughout the daylight hours.

*

Have a wonderful day!

*

10 comments:

Mary Humphrey said...

The cabins! Kids are so open, and original! :)

I am glad the fragile pair ate their grain. Lovely how they talk to you. Smart little critters, they are. Tee hee. Seriously, cute story, I love it!

And I would have to keep looking at the crocus colors too.

Enjoy your day!

Alicia @ boylerpf said...

I know spring is finally here when I can see those beautiful blooms flashing their colors. Gorgeous and cute adventures of F&B!

rhymeswithplague said...

If Oral Roberts could handle a 900-ft. Jesus, surely Fred and Bessie can handle seeing "real" (as you put it) cows....

Great crocuses, er, croci, er, flowers, by the way!

Pat - Arkansas said...

Loved your crocus photos... and Fred and Bessie, too, of course. Since the pair of them apparently have no fear, you'll have to keep a close eye on them. If left to their own devices, they'll be wandering about the barn getting into who-knows-what... and that would require a bath and lots of deodorant. :)

Nancy said...

Your crocus are just beautiful, I've never had any. I'll have to plant some in the fall. My daffodils are starting to shoot up, I hope they'll bloom this year. I'll bet those little girls loved Muffin, she looks like she could be a model with those symmetrical spots. F & B are probably jealous of her. Buster looked so happy to have some little ones around!

Leenie said...

LOL. Those two seem to adjust to their surroundings nicely. P.S. I saw the old rusty milk can by the door. Those things bring good money at some antique stores! I have one stashed in case my other investments become worthless. Hehe.

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Mary,

Yeah, it was so cute, the little girl kept saying "Go see cabins, go see cabins"....I was confused for awhile.

********

Hi, Alicia,

Oh, it is so nice to have some warm sunny weather.....it has been a VERY long winter.

********

Hi, rhymsie,

Oh, you always get me to worrying that I've used improper spellings and such. After reading your comment I looked up the plural of crocus..."crocuses" or "croci" is allowable. What a relief!

********

Hi, Pat,

Definitely, I'm trying to keep close watch on F & B....its almost like having little kids around the farm again!

********

Hi, Nancy,

Oh, yes, Buster was ecstatic to have little kids here.

Sounds like your daffodils will bloom for you soon. Yes, do plant some crocus. These here are in a rather sheltered area, whether that helps or not, I don't know.

*******

Hi, Leenie,

Oh, that's funny....about your milkcan held in reserve. The one in the photo is used as a doorstop in warm weather. I went to a picnic once where corn-on-the-cob, brats and cabbage were all cooked inside of a milkcan down in a firepit. So, that's another use for the old things.



*

Laura ~Peach~ said...

ohhhh BEAUTIFUL i am so glad that fred and bessie are behaving... sort of...they are fearless and seriously believe they have super hero powers and dont forget they think they can fly!!!!!!!
maybe the BIG cows can teach them something... looks like fun with the little girls wish we could be there too... we came home to trees filled with green and totally missed the dogwood blooming in the front... the winds and rain of good friday blew many off!

Donalyn said...

Always love seeing what F&B are up to!

Kat Mortensen said...

I'm sure I'd be rolling on the ground with that dog right now if I were there - how can he be resisted?
And Muffin! What a sweet name. What a gorgeous calf. You're so lucky.

Okay, so in 8 days start watching your mail.

Kat