Friday, April 10, 2009

Good Friday Church

Black was the mood and color of the Good Friday church service we attended this morning.

10th006

I was sitting in the balcony……here’s how the wall next to me looked:

10th009

The walls of our 136-year-old church sanctuary are lined with embossed tin, covered in a coat of paint. The walls are blue, the ceiling is whitish. I was sitting in the balcony, right below the junction of the wall and ceiling, and near the peak of the tall stained-glass windows.

I was sitting with the choir; we sang Were You There When They Crucified My Lord. We had five sopranos, two altos, and five men…..a good turn-out. I used to sing soprano, but switched to alto a few years ago and I love it!

The service consisted of responsive readings of Psalms interspersed with congregational hymns, and Gospel readings done by the pastor. He had a sermon, too, but honestly I can’t recall much about it right now. Mostly, I was thinking about a quote another blogger had mentioned to me recently……something to the effect that “religion can be a place in which to hide from God”. That’s a thought provoker! Do I do such a thing, I wonder? Is it an easier routine to get involved in churchy stuff rather than “Love thy neighbor as thyself” stuff? Could be.

One of the congregational hymns we sang was O Sacred Head, Now Wounded. I get along fine until the fifth verse:

What language can I borrow

To thank you, dearest friend

For this your dying sorrow

Your mercy without end?

Then I choke up and can’t sing the rest of the hymn because I’m thinking of dear friends, and Friend, of course. Nothing I can do about it……it just happens every year.

On Good Friday we’re supposed to focus on Christ’s suffering and death on the cross. I try to, really I do, but then I always go on to think that there have been lots of people who have experienced terrible anguish and sufferings in life, due to tortures or injuries, physical or mental, sometimes lasting for long periods of time. The pastor said Christ’s hours of suffering were ultimately worse because He had to take on the guilt of the sins of ALL people, past, present, and future.

I realize the possibility exists that some readers of this blog are non-Christian. Its OK…..you are welcome here. Please don’t go away. The older I get, the more easily I can see the aspects of Christianity that are not particularly attractive to others. It seems that ALL religions have their negative aspects. I struggle, and have doubts-—believe me, I do---wondering about it all sometimes. Why am I a Christian, anyway? Because I was reared that way. If you are not a Christian…..why is that? Mostly because you weren’t reared that way, probably. We’re all just people trying to make our way through life, usually on a path laid out before us when we were children.

10 comments:

Alicia @ boylerpf said...

Very thoughtful post and let me start by saying I am a devout Christian so you aren't scaring me away. To me, you can be reared in a certain religion but that does not mean that you have accepted God into your heart. There are many Christians on different walks and times in their faith. Questioning is a good thing for if there are no questions, you will not find the answers. I think the older we get, we will see what we need to see...in God's time, not ours.
I hope you have a very blessed Easter! Enjoyed your post!

Gail said...

Maybe you were realizing how Jesus felt our pain and suffering.

Count it a God moment and not a selfish act.

Mary Humphrey said...

I am a Christian too. You made some very valid points.

The older I get the more I want to tell others that I am Christian, however, I do not want to drive anyone away. It is difficult. I really did not understand any of this until I dove into the bible and stacks of Christian books about 7 years ago. To me it was a growth period. To others, it might have been something else.

To each his own, out of respect for everyone.

Good post.

Leenie said...

Thank you for sharing your service with us. Thanks also for a peek at your church. I am with you on the strength afforded by Christianity. Happy Easter!

troutay said...

I seem to have lost the strong faith I had when younger.
Don't misunderstand, I do believe in a higher power than my own. And I also understand that those things we abhor that we see religious leaders do is not a condemnation of all of the faithful.

But I am spiritual. And I do pray almost every day.

And it was a lovely post regardless of what we all believe.

Flea said...

I tear up and overflow every time I sing O Sacred Head. It's a beautiful hymn.

Your friend is right about religion being a good place to hide from God. It's also a good place to show boat. Or wield power. Or confuse and manipulate. Quite frequently God has left the building. But not always.

I heard a quote yesterday: Non-Christians don't really care one bit about your relationship with Jesus. They only care how much you resemble Jesus. I've been mulling over that one for two days.

Your church is beautiful. Looks like a good place to be reflective and listen to God. :)

Jeannelle said...

Alicia, Gail, Mary, Leenie, troutay, Flea,

Thank you all for reading and understanding and for your insightful comments. And, Flea...thank you for including that eye-opening quote.

Nancy said...

Your church looks beautiful. We have our service in the evening. It closes with the Bidding Prayer that has petitions for those who call God by another name, those of other faiths, and those who don't know God. There are also the usual petitions for the sick, etc. but I think it's a good thing to intentionally pray for those whose religion is different that ours. I believe in God by way of Jesus, but I can accept that others believe in God with a different understanding. Incidentally, I sing alto too and our choir sang a beautiful arrangement of "O Sacred Head Now Wounded".

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Nancy,

I've never heard of the Bidding Prayer....it sounds wonderfully openhearted!

Cool, you sing alto, too! Yes, "O Sacred Head" is such a beautiful hymn....the words and the tune are just perfect for Good Friday.

Trish said...

I love this post and just doing a wee bit of catching up. You know, the best thing about reading here is that I see a truly honest person...not grandstanding...just speaking simple and honest feelings and heartfelt ponderings. No grandstanding, no HUGE revelations or preaching...no judgment. For these things I believe you will be blessed. You are right...some of us were raised in a particular faith...some within very rigid boundaries and some not so rigid. Some of us were not raised within any faith at all. But still...within...there is always the quest for truth, for peace and a hope..a hope for something just a little bit more...right? Grin....Oh my gosh....I am going on too much here but Jeannelle...you always get it so 'bang on' that I think your readers love you for it. I do! Blessings on Easter Sunday. I always have this image of Christ gathering children (who after all...come forward with pureness of heart and a quest to learn)...gathering them to him as he sits and discusses life and spiritual matters in simple terms. That my friend, that is the essence of faith...and from there we can all go our own ways but at His feet...the purest words of simple faith.