Thursday, May 14, 2009

Clothes-Dryer Blues

13th012 (2) Can you tell where I spent some time yesterday afternoon? My shadow hasn’t darkened the door of such a place for many, many years, as I had no need to go there. That changed on Tuesday when my clothes-dryer took a negative turn and went kaput. Wouldn’t you know it, we’re currently in a rainy spell, too, preventing the hanging of laundry outdoors on the clothesline. There are lines in the basement, but its damp down there, making for a poor drying environment.

13th012 (3)

Yesterday over lunch, Husband mentioned that he needed some items from the Farm & Fleet store at Cedar Falls. The gears in my mind began to work. I had three baskets of wet laundry sitting in the basement……maybe we could take them along to Cedar Falls and find a laundromat. I checked the phone book, but could find no listings for laundromats in CF. Then I did a Google search and found the address of one right near the route to Farm & Fleet. Good deal.

When I was growing up, all the small towns in our area had laundromats, but they don’t anymore. I recall going with my mom to the one in Dunkerton a few times, probably when our washer was on the blink. This laundromat in Cedar Falls yesterday was clean and well-cared-for. Husband helped carry the laundry in and then he went on to Farm & Fleet. The laundromat manager was the only one in the premises; she was polishing the tops of washing machines. She showed me how to operate the dryers……25 cents for each 8 minutes of drying time. I filled three dryers with laundry and pressed the buttons to start the clothes a-tumbling.

The manager and I chatted for awhile……she was very talkative and interesting. She told me about her house being ruined in the flood last summer, and moving into a newly-built home just a few weeks ago. The FEMA trailer she and her husband had lived in for many months was being removed from their property on this very day! She talked about the frustrating mix-ups and rigamarole they had dealt with in the flood’s aftermath, while trying to get needed help. At some point, I mentioned the old laundromat that used to be in Dunkerton and she nodded and said yes she remembered it, too, and she was quite sure it had succombed to the flood of 1993 when Crane Creek invaded Dunkerton’s downtown.

Our conversation waned when another customer came in. I sat down to read and soon discovered that the laundromat is a perfect place for that and wished I could spend the whole afternoon there. The droning hum of the washers and dryers was relaxing, almost hypnotic.

13th014

At some point, two men came in, filled and started two washing machines, and then left again. The manager and another woman customer talked for quite awhile…..about cemeteries, surgeries, and families who don’t eat supper together. The manager also mentioned an upcoming trip she was planning to another town where she would most definitely stop and see the “laundry-mat”, as she called it.

I enjoyed reading my book about the four forces of nature: gravity, electromagnetism, and strong and weak nuclear forces. (Go ahead and think I’m nuts, but this stuff is really interesting.) These four forces work together in perfect balance to keep the universe running. The relationship between these forces is “so finely tuned as to allow for things to be just as they are, from the smallest to the largest objects, governed by laws that keep things in a cohesive state. One minor tweak and it would be utter chaos.” Fascinating, eh?! One minor tweak…….

13th015

Later, when Husband and I were driving along in rush hour traffic in Cedar Falls and Waterloo, I was thinking of what an alien being would see if he were gazing down on the city from high up above. He would see the lines of traffic, flowing in an organized manner. He might wonder, “How does that happen? How does it all stay organized?” Over time, if he studied the situation more closely and deeply, he would discover that there are laws governing the way the traffic moves. Just as scientists have learned about the laws of nature over the centuries.

In this next photo are tools near and dear to my heart……my laundry baskets!! (I had to be discreet and keep a low profile while taking these photos. I didn’t want the manager to see me using the camera. What kind of person would take pictures in a laundromat??)

13th017

Too soon, my laundry loads were dry and ready to be folded. By then, Husband had returned and he helped fold the towels and clothes…….that has got to be a first!!

Our disabled dryer at home will not be repaired until late NEXT week. Oh, my. I hope the sun comes out pretty soon or I may be making another trip to this laundromat, which I probably wouldn’t mind at all, considering the pleasant time I enjoyed there yesterday.

*

A nice surprise was in the mailbox when we arrived home…..the bars of goats’ milk soap I had ordered recently from http://anniesgoathill.blogspot.com/, in Ohio. Unless Mary is putting on a huge pretension as she writes her blogposts, it is apparent she dearly loves making goats’ milk soap. Her shop must smell heavenly, because these soaps have lovely scents and are making my house smell wonderful!

13th020

Have a great day!

*

P.S. - If you decide to leave a comment.....please mention when you last were in a laundromat.

*

13 comments:

troutay said...

I remember our local "Laudry-mat". With 8 kids, if it was raining my mother would haul everything to town.

In those days, they had someone there that would help you fold. She would also do your laundry for you for a little money if you were busy, or a single guy.

These places are always neat and smell clean (due to all the laundry soap I suppose). I go to one to dry my big heavy stuff (sleeping bags, rugs, etc). It is always quiet. But why do they all have those horrible plastic chairs?

rhymeswithplague said...

You have a clothesline?? I haven't seen one in years.

I happen to have been raised very near to where the first U.S. laundromat was built: Fort Worth, Texas. The U.K. had one in 1949 (see wiki) but our area had them soon afterward. The one in our little town was called a "washateria." It was in a small cement building and consisted of several wringer washers, each one surrounded by three metal tubs. There was a also a bluing sink and a drain in the floor. We're talking 60 years ago here.

The last time I was in a laundromat was last year in New Smyrna Beach, Florida, where we have often vacationed over the past 25 years. There are two such establishments about a mile apart on Highway A1A, which runs parallel to the Atlantic Ocean. One is very old and dirty, and one is very new and clean. We use the latter, although it is farther from our condo.

Jeannelle said...

Hi, troutay,

Yeah, the laundromat seating left much to be desired.

That's a great idea to take big, bulky items to a laundromat...I've never thought to do that.

And, wow.....I'm trying to imagine the mountains of laundry generated by 8 kids.....

*********

Hi, rhymsie,

"Washateria!" Wonderful! Write a story....a play, maybe, about a group of women (men, maybe, too) exchanging good, clean gossip while wringing their laundry at the washateria. Go for it....maybe I will, too.

"Ring Around the Wringers"....

Caution/Lisa said...

One of the happiest days of my life was the day we bought a washer and dryer. I did try to go green a bit last summer and dry things outside, but the birds decorated the laundry for me. Back the dryer for this family.

Anonymous said...

Hmm, I think the last time I was in a laundromat or a large laundry room was in 1997. I lived the apartment lifestyle at the time. It was always a challenge to time it right and get there when there were free machines.. How nice to now live in a large house with my very own laundry room

The soaps look wonderful. We have ladies here in the Roanoke area that also make soap... some are goat soap.

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

Laura ~Peach~ said...

sometime in the last 6 months we went quite a bit as the washer was broken... the dryer had issues but they seem to have resolved themselves... and ours are not near as nice as yours....

Leenie said...

Kinds scary/amazing to think how everything is balanced and running so well. How did it get that way---hmmmmmm---;D. Had to spend too much time in a laundromat in my student years. Weirdos came in to watch the underwear tumble in the dryers. Eeesh. Now I just visit our clean local place to wash my fluffy bedspread. Best wishes for a quick repair!

Pat - Arkansas said...

Interesting post, J. Thank goodness for such places. I have several large washable things that simply are not well-cleansed in my home machine, and I take them, as needed, to the local laundromat, The Wash House, open 24/7, except Christmas Day. It seems always to have patrons.

Flea said...

Bloggers take pictures in laundromats. You go girl!

My last stop in one was while on vacation for a week, camping. I love a laundromat. Warm and quiet.

If you're in the market for a dryer, I LOVE my Fischer and Paykel. Got it at Lowes. Works BEAUTIFULLY. Top loading, so no real bending, not nearly as expensive as a front load set. Highly recommend it. Two years now and it's going strong.

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Caution,

I've never had much problem with birds decorating the clothes hung outdoors. Flyspots are a problem on hot summer days, though.

********

Hi, Blue Ridge Gal,

Yes, I think you showed a photo of a local soap and lotion maker recently on your lovely Roanoke market tour.

*********

Hi, Laura,

You have a dryer that resolves its own problems! What brand is that??

********

Hi, Leenie,

Good point about how the perfect balance ended up that way!

Sounds lik you encountered some interesting characters in laundromats.

*********

Hi, Pat,

Another cute laundromat name....The Wash House. Each town probably once had one, in the old days.....people took baths there, too, I've read.

********

Hi, Flea,

Very interesting....I've never heard of the brand Fischer & Paykel, nor have I ever seen a top-loading dryer!

Gail said...

I have taken my washer and dryer for granted many times. One visit to the laundromat makes you very grateful to the people who invented these items.

I do have a clothesline and use it for bedding. There is just nothing quite like the fresh smell of line dried sheets.

alphabet soup said...

Ah Janelle - so much to comment on today. The laundromat photos are great, particularly the b&w, as for the low profile :=) any lower and you would have been beneath the floor!! Have you thought about starting another blog, then you could have one for the farm and another for thoughts and books etc. NOT anonymous Janelle because I for one would be interested in reading it...
Ms Soup

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Gail,

I love the smell of line-dried bedding, too!

********

Hi, Ms Soup,

Well, thank you for your thoughts! Actually, in the post previous to this one I mentioned the notion of starting another blog....you must have read that or else you are psychic. Not sure what I'll do yet. I do love posting photos and they seem to prompt words.