Thursday, July 16, 2009

A Different Coneflower Style

July 16th 043

THIS and THAT and THAT and THIS……the subtitle in this blog’s header should be sufficient warning that I can’t stay focused on one subject for very long.  Maybe its an adult form of ADD and probably most bloggers are afflicted with it to some degree.  Anyhow…..let’s take a leap away from thoughts of the dairy crisis…..over to a flower blooming in my garden.  Yeah, why not!

The above photo shows a “Pink Double Delight” coneflower.  The botanical name for coneflower is echinaceaYou may recognize that name from herbal remedies; in the past I have taken Echinacea in the wintertime to try and ward off colds and sore throats.  Here’s an article about this double coneflower:  A Coneflower Rebelling Against Its Parents Or Just Having A Bad Hair Day?

I certainly appreciate all the thoughtful comments coming in from you blogger friends.  Thank you!  I hope to reply to more of them later this evening.  An afternoon and evening road trip yesterday prevented me from responding to comments last night and today has just been one of those days.  Besides barn chores, snapping the coneflower photo, doing dishes and a couple loads of laundry, I’ve accomplished nothing today…..people kept randomly stopping by and I would fall into conversations with them and pretty soon the day was shot and now its time for evening chores.  Argghh!

Yesterday’s road trip was very pleasant, though, because my older daughter was with me.  She’s the art teacher/coach; her life is busy and its always fun to hear about what her current activities are.  Right now its summer basketball camps, spending time with her husband and friends, and making plans for the upcoming school year.

My husband is in a hay-making tizzy right now and his anxiety and nervousness rubs off on the rest of us.  We have over 40 acres of hay down…..meaning it has been cut and is lying down on the ground waiting to be baled when it is dry enough.  We are hoping for cooperative weather……if only one could just place an order for several consecutive days of low humidity, sunny skies, and warm breezes!

Have a nice evening!

*

 

5 comments:

Kat Mortensen said...

Lois, I swear by echinacea! As soon as I feel something coming on, I dose up and it cuts the duration in half. Can't get through the winter without echinacea, garlic and cayenne powder!

Kat

Gail said...

Beautiful flower, I have never seen a fancy cone flower.

I know the hay thing!!! I will hope for low humidy and wind with no rain.

alphabet soup said...

What do you mean you've accomplished nothing today? What about the barn chores, the dishes, the laundry, the photos and chatting to people? And of course the post and the fabulous echinacea photos.
Ms Soup

Evansmom said...

This is stunning! Thanks for sharing the photo and the info.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

That's a beautiful flower.