Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Kitty in the Straw

Aug 9 (1)

Found a tiny kitty in the calf building this morning.  It appears adorably fluffy and cute, but hisses and spits when approached by giant humans like me.

“Kitty in the Straw” led me to think of “Turkey in the Straw”, the song I plunked out on the piano for my first recital, circa mid-1960’s.  The momentous event took place in the hushed sanctuary of a white clapboard Baptist church in a small town a few miles from my family’s farm.  We grade-school-age students sat in a row in the first pew, nervously awaiting our turn to perform at the piano up front.  Most likely I was spiffed up in church clothes, which in those days meant a dress, knee socks, and patent leather shoes. 

Our piano teacher was a very short lady, barely taller than us kids.  She wore a hairnet and had a moustache thing going on.  She gave piano lessons in her home, a big, old white house which was filled with Victorian-style antique furniture and the rhythmic ticking of clocks and metronome.  Often, while waiting for my lesson to begin, I would sit on a red velvet settee, paging through the several Jack & Jill magazines which were always there.  Sometimes, I would tiptoe to the ornately-woodworked doorways of other rooms to take a peek at the contents.  (I’ve always been intrigued by how houses and rooms are designed and furnished….a fancy way of saying, “I’m a SNOOP!”)  Sometimes, I got caught---the piano teacher, who was giving a lesson in an adjoining room, would notice me wandering about.  She would cease her counting out of beats to the measure and would tell me to please go back and sit down. 

Sadly, my old piano teacher’s house is no longer in existence, having been torn down a few years ago to make way for the construction of a rest home.  I often wonder what ever became of that velvet settee and all the other interesting antiques.  

2 comments:

DesertHen said...

What a cute little fluff ball!

Funny...My first piano teacher had a moustache thing going on as well. Sadly the lessons I took didn't pay off!

The first ranch I lived on after I married had a very old boarding house that was actually part of the old town that the ranch once had been. The house was in bad repair and I had been told to stay out of it. I didn't though. I would sneak over and walk through it and found lots of old treasures. There was an old cook stove that I wanted something awful, but they wouldn't sell it. There was also a red velvet settee with a scalloped dark wood back. I always wished the house could talk and tell its stories! I heard a few years back the place had been torn down and an old friend ended up with the stove I had wanted.

Jeannelle said...

Great story, Deserthen! (My piano lessons didn't pay off, either. (I learned to play, but not very well. Its nice to be able to read music, though.)