Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Wingspans

I really shouldn’t be blogging photos of winged fliers of the butter and dragon variety since my blog’s title announces that I blog wildflowers, but what the heck.  Yesterday, I walked out of the house to pick a green pepper to add to cucumber relish and nearly collided with this Black Swallowtail butterfly.  After fetching my camera, I waited, still and quiet, for a few minutes and was eventually rewarded with a full wingspan view.  (Looks like this Swallowtail has a partially swallowed tail!)

Aug 1 cropped

For good measure, here’s two dragonfly photos taken recently.  This first one shows a Twelve-Spotted Skimmer.  Notice the blue color near the end of the tail.

July 30 Lastly, here’s a Widow Skimmer displaying its glittery, copper-tinged wingspan:

July 13 Widow Skimmer

1 comment:

DesertHen said...

Beautiful shots! I think you can blog about anything that is related to flowers...winged flyers included....lol.