Sunday, October 2, 2011

Goeken Overlook

(There was a middle-aged farmwife who didn’t live in shoe.  She had so many photos, she didn’t know what to do.  She couldn’t whip them all soundly and send them to bed, so she decided to start blogging on Sundays again.  In order to display more photos, of course!) 

The other day, my husband hollered in the door, “Can you go get some net wrap for me?”  Though my voice quickly gave him an affirmative answer, my mind was already dreaming about the autumn photos I could capture along the way.  Such as here at Goeken Park which overlooks tiny Eldorado, Iowa.

Goeken & Smallest Church 9.30.11 (88)

When I was a kid, our family would stop here while on Sunday drives.  My siblings and I would stand at this spot and gaze in wonder at the surrounding countryside and down into the little town below.  We thought the church and houses looked like toys!

Goeken & Smallest Church 9.30.11 (25)

The scenery reaches for miles into the distance here and right now the colors of autumn are overtaking the landscape.

Goeken & Smallest Church 9.30.11 (92)

(In case you’re wondering what “net wrap” is….it is the black plastic netting that holds round bales together.  At this time of year, those bales will be made of cornstalks.  That’s what happens after the corn ears are harvested.  We will use the cornstalk bales for livestock bedding this winter.)

4 comments:

Gail said...

Simply beautiful. A colorful reminder that winter is just around the corner.

Peg said...

I'm homesick!I so miss the change of seasons living in the desert. Thanks for sharing these fabulous pics.

Kateri said...

Well it sounds like you and I think a like when it comes to running an errand. :) I'm always thinking about the photos I will take my way. You live in such a beautiuful place. We don't really have fall colors yet--just a touch of red and yellow here and there.

forgetmenot said...

Lovely photos of a beautiful scene. Fall is definitely on its way. Have a nice week. Mickie :)