Friday, June 29, 2012

More Road Trip Pictures

After visiting the Basilica and picking up what my husband needed picked up, I headed homeward on Highway 20 and exited at the town of Independence.  I parked by the old mill on the banks of the Wapsipinicon River:

June 27, 2012 (42)

By the way, when I was a kid, there was an ice cream place called The Old Mill in Independence.  It served ice cream in scoops shaped like square cubes!  In honor of that, here’s a square photo of a mural on an old building across the river from the mill.

June 27, 2012 (55)

Here’s more of the mural plus some old windows across the street:

June 27, 2012 (56)

Old-style watertowers like this are slowly but surely disappearing.  My home town took theirs down a few years ago.  Wish I would  have thought to take a picture of it before that happened. 

June 27, 2012 (63)

Here’s an old advertising sign I saw somewhere during the day’s journey:

June 27, 2012 (52)

And, finally, here’s a random scene that told me home was only a few miles away.  The temperature was near 100 by then.  What a fun day I had!

June 27, 2012 (66)

2 comments:

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

What a cool name for a river! Love the mural.

Cheri said...

I love old murals on the side of buildings. My hometown has an old coca-cola mural.