Friday, June 22, 2012

Sedge and Rushes

‘Tis the season for these prickly-looking wild plants. 

Troublesome Sedge:

June 20 (16) Dark Green Bulrush:

June 20 (18) Last year I kept a photo file of the wildflowers and plants I found during the growing season, along with their names which I found using books and internet searches.  I didn’t have any info about the plant in this final photo, however, so I had to do some detective work.  After perusing the Illinois Wildflower website’s grasses and sedges section, I can say that this may be a Dudley’s Rush.  Go there to see a better picture of it.  The website may be from Illinois, but it works well for identifying wild plants here in Iowa, too.

June 20 (17)

2 comments:

Diane AZ said...

They are lovely! Great detective work, now I wonder if there are any sedges or rushes in my area...

Laloofah said...

I love the "Troublesome Sedge" photo, they look like little pinecones. Neat how the two on top look like they're popping right out of my computer screen! It really looks 3D!