Sunday, July 22, 2012

Shakespeare Festival Site

As mentioned in a recent post, a few days ago my daughter, my sister, my niece, and I traveled to visit my other daughter who had a summer job out-of-state.  She was working in the costume department at Illinois State University’s Illinois Shakespeare Festival in Bloomington/Normal. 
July 19, 2012 (102) cropped
The open-air theatre is located on the grounds of the Ewing Cultural Center.  It was almost dark by the time we arrived there.  I took a quick walk around to get a few photos.  I liked the look of the coneflowers in the above scene, but I don’t remember what the sign said. 
July 19, 2012 (98)
The Ewing Manor is located there:   
July 19, 2012 (107) cropped
The architectural style is called Channel-Norman.
July 19, 2012 (105)
I didn’t take any photos at the theatre.  The play we saw was The Rivals.  It is a comedy set in the 1700’s.  Here are some of the names of the characters:  Mrs. Malaprop, Lydia Languish, Jack Absolute.  I enjoyed the costumes, especially Mrs. Malaprop’s dress which was made by my daughter.  I would like to see the play again sometime, mostly to listen to Mrs. Malaprop’s malapropisms!  (A malapropism is an absurd misuse of words.)  By the way, The Rivals was reportedly George Washington’s favorite play.

3 comments:

Amy Burzese said...

Great shots. I'm glad you shared them. Campuses make for great photo ops.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun time! It would be a great play to see.

anay said...

I completely agree with this above comment, the internet is with a doubt growing into your most essential medium of communication across the globe and also its due to sites just like this that ideas are spreading so quickly.

Chris Gilman Medford Oregon