Thursday, October 25, 2012

Apples

The reason we went over to Wisconsin on Saturday was to go to an apple orchard near the town of Gays Mills.  There have been orchards in that area for many years.  When I was a kid, our family went there every fall.  We’d enjoy the free cider samples and then munch on apples, donuts, and cheese on the way home.           

Oct 20 (76) Golden Delicious apples have always been one of my favorites.  I don’t care much for the ones sold in grocery stores, but the fresh ones right from the orchard are really good.  Same with the Red Delicious.  This year I bought some Jonagold, which is a mix of Jonathan and Golden Delicious, and they are very good, too.  The sign shows which apple varieties are currently on sale.  I think we missed the Honeycrisps---I was hoping to get some of those.  They had Honeycrisp cider, though, and it was delicious!

1 comment:

DesertHen said...

The first ranch we lived on had a big apple orchard. I remember picking and learning to can applesauce and pie filling. I made many, many pies as well. Over the years since, several of the places we have lived have had an apple tree or two and I always enjoyed the picking and use of those apples. We just stopped at my parents place today and mom and I went out and picked a bag of apples off their tree. They didn't have a good crop this year, but we got enough to make a couple of pies.