Monday, October 15, 2012

Drive-by Buildings

Here’s some more shots from my drive on Saturday.  Independence boasts a patriotic water tower, backed up by the buildings of the Mental Health Institute:

Oct 13 (53)

It was raining as I detoured through Manchester to buy lunch and then drove past the Delaware County courthouse:

Oct 13 (57)

I was happy to find a theater marquee there, too.  I like getting pictures of those!

Oct 13 (56)

 

At Epworth is the Divine Word Seminary:

Oct 13 (58)

 

And, through the trees here is a glimpse of Iowa’s only monastery, New Melleray Abbey.  I’m sorry the signs aren’t in focus, but that’s the way it goes sometimes with drive-by shots:

Oct 13 (61)

3 comments:

Tiggeriffic said...

I toured through that mental health institue when I drove school bus.. Took a class there for a tour and a visit.. Glad I'm in good mental health,,,wouldn't not like to live here. It was very interesting to take a look see how people that really need this help get taken care of with such caring people. The Dr. and Nurses really care about these people and I would think it would take a special person to be able to work daily in a place like this..
Manchester is a beautiful town.. All the older trees lining the streets with their fall colors this time of year is so beautiful.. Have you ever stopped in to see the trout fish hatchery they have in the area.. That's a great place to visit. they have food you can throw into the ponds and the fish just swarm to get to the food.. Lots of fun~!
ta ta for now from Springville, Iowa:)

Gail said...

What wonderful sites.

Sometimes we are too busy to see what's almost in our backdoor. Glad to see you taking the time to enjoy the trip.

Jeannelle said...

Tiggerific, I toured there once, too, when I was in LPN school. Interesting place and the grounds are beautiful. I attended cross-country meets there when my kids were in school. Have never been to the fish hatchery near Manchester. When I was a kid we would stop at the one at Backbone Park.