Friday, October 30, 2020

Canning Pumpkin

 Yesterday we did something new.....we canned pumpkin.  It wasn't my idea, that's for sure.  My husband has caught the canning bug from one of his brothers who cans everything under the sun.

We used the brother's directions.  My husband peeled the pumpkins and cut the flesh into small pieces.  We filled quart jars with the pieces and covered them with boiling water.  You have to use a pressure canner for pumpkin and as luck would have it there was one in the storeroom (a garage sale find years ago).                                                        



The jars had to be processed for 90 minutes at 10 lbs. of pressure.  Guess what I did during that time....yup you guessed it, I read blogs, and listened to the canner hiss and jiggle.  I had to adjust the heat so the canner jiggled two to three times a minute.

                                                                                   

Voila!  The finished product looks like this.  For use in recipes, you just drain the water out and mash the pumpkin.  My husband is so proud!              
                                                                               
                                                                               

No comments: