Tuesday, January 12, 2021

Here's the round barn that was on the farm where I grew up.  

I took this photo for 4-H, probably around 1970, back in the days of film cameras.  Remember those?  Film was expensive so you didn't take many pictures, one of each scene probably.  This photo, for example, is the only one I have of the old barn being used for pigs.

(I blogged about this barn most recently in 2011.  I found that out by typing "round barn" in the "Search This Blog" box in the side column.)

It was built in 1918 and survived until 2008 when it was hit by a tornado.  I hadn't taken a photo of the barn for years.  As luck would have it, though, a week before the tornado I stopped by and took a quick picture.  Maybe I jinxed the poor old barn!

Recently, I put this picture on a barn site on Facebook.  It got 400 responses.

Have a tremendous Tuesday!

Stay safe and well.


 

3 comments:

At Home In New Zealand said...

That is so unusual - I have never seen a round barn before. What a pity it got destroyed.
And yes, I remember those expensive film cameras - not only did we take fewer photos, but you also had to wait to see if what you had photographed had come out alright (I often got the horizon on a lean!). Thank goodness for digital :))

Rose said...

I find the round barns so fascinating...I would love to be able to go in a few of them. There are sites on line that lists round barns and their locations. And I have a book called A Round Indiana, that lists all the round barns in Indiana, and I has pics of each one, though some of them no longer exisit. Seems like there is one or two that does not have a photo.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Fun! I always wonder what it was like to be inside a round barn!