Sunday, October 9, 2011

Smallest Church

After stopping at Goeken Park last week, I drove on to The Smallest Church in the World, west of the town of Festina….

Goeken & Smallest Church 9.30.11 (20)

The tiny church’s official name is St. Anthony of Padua Chapel….

Goeken & Smallest Church 9.30.11 (163) I have visited here several times before, but had never before noticed the 1885 in the upper reaches of the entryway….

Goeken & Smallest Church 9.30.11 (161)

Once inside the chapel, I signed my name in the guestbook below this memorial window….

Goeken & Smallest Church 9.30.11 (129) Then, I prayerfully sat for a few moments in one of the pews (even though I’m a Baptist-raised Missouri Synod Lutheran, not a Catholic)….

Goeken & Smallest Church 9.30.11 (17) Behind the small church is a correspondingly small cemetery.    

Goeken & Smallest Church 9.30.11 (128)

A farmer was harvesting corn in the field next door.  His combine is coming into view in the right of the photo.  (I was hoping he wouldn’t see me aiming the camera his way.)

4 comments:

Gail said...

Small but I think it holds much hope, love, prayer and promise.

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Gail. Yes, its a nice, peaceful place.

Michaele said...

How interesting. Loved the photos and story. Thanks for sharing. It is so well kept.

Kateri said...

That is an adorable little church. Looks like the perfect place to just stop and pray for a momment, no matter what your faith is.