Friday, February 23, 2007

Winter Storm Warning

My, how quickly the weather can change! Bright and sunny yesterday, and today is overcast with a strong south wind which seems to go right through even the heaviest coat. The forecast includes a winter storm warning for the whole weekend. Fun. My daughter's band group is supposed to get back from Chicago tonight around midnight. I pray for safe travelling for them. Wow......I just saw a flash of lightning in the west! The first lightning of the spring. And the sleet has started.

Yesterday afternoon, Husband managed to get his silo unloader put back together up in the silo. He carried the 60 lb. drive wheel up the chute ladder 60 feet to the level of silage. He would go up 5 rungs at a time and then stop to rest. Needless to say, he is now complaining of a sore back.

The past couple of days, I have been putting pictures, etc., up on several walls that have been bare ever since we did some remodeling last year. We built on a family room and redid the kitchen. The whole thing is kind of like a "great room". We really like it. But, the bare walls have started to bug me lately, so last week I bought some nice decorative items on sale at Penneys and Gordman's. And I've been searching through things stored away here at home. In the process I found a little print I had purchased many years ago on a trip out west. It's entitled "The Prairie is My Garden", by Harvey Thomas Dunn, an artist from the Dakotas. I'm pretty sure I bought it at the Corn Palace in Mitchell, SD. A paragraph on the back of the print says, "it portrays the Dakota pioneer woman's determination to cope with the harsh elements of the prairie, and her love for the beauty of the land." I love the scene......it is of a mother and her two children out gathering wildflowers on the prairie near their homestead. You can see it at www.southdakotaartmuseum.com/shop_dunn.htm . I may order a larger print sometime, or maybe one of the artist's other prairie scenes.

Well, I need to bundle up and head out into the sleet to feed the calves.

Blessings!

No comments: