Thursday, March 29, 2007

Second Commandment??

Last Sunday in church was the "examination" of the students that will be confirmed next Sunday. The pastor led the students to recite most of Luther's Small Catechism up in front of the congregation. I followed along in the Catechism printed in the hymnal. Having not grown up Lutheran, I, of course, never learned the Catechism. When I joined this church I had to complete a workbook called "That I May Know Him", but it was not the Catechism, and I was questioned by the deacons over what I knew and believed.

Anyway, when the students recited the Ten Commandments as written in the Catechism, I once again had a question about something and I need to do some research on it. When I learned the Commandments as a child, the second one was "Thou shall not make unto thee any graven image." Luther's Catechism seems to skip that commandment altogether, and splits the tenth commandment.....coveting.....into two commandments. Was that a liberty Luther himself took, or had he learned it that way when he grew up in the Catholic Church? Either way, what is the reason for doing that? Was it so people wouldn't question the statuary used in churches? Like I said, I need to do some checking on that to satisfy my own curiosity.

This week started out unseasonably warm, but is now back to regular early spring chilliness. The kids dug out their shorts to wear to school and I took the flannel sheets off the beds. Now I wish they were back on.

My brother did respond to my email. There's no way he will ever see anything lacking in homeschooling, even the socialization aspect. Whatever, they're his kids.....he can do what he feels is best. He's worried that the gays are going to force their agendas in the public schools in order to recruit new members. Ok, whatever.....I don't know if things are quite that bad.

Well, I need to run to a school event. Dirty dishes and dust will have to wait.

Did you know: "5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions...." !

No comments: