Saturday, June 23, 2007

Shopping Day Adventures

Yesterday morning as I finished my chores in the barn, Husband suddenly asked me if I needed to go shopping. What a dumb question......of course, I can always come up with a reason to shop. He needed some parts for the elevator and for the pickup. Quickly, I racked my brain to see what other errands I could do, like scheduling a fitting for my mother-of-the-bride dress and the strappy shoes, and shopping for the undergarment the dress will require. Without much trouble, I soon had a whole day's worth of activities and shopping planned out.

Soon, our rusty old van and I were merrily making our way to town.......the big town that has the mall and all the usual chain stores......Target being my favorite. First stop was the dress fitting. Hmm......I seem to have a lost a little weight since buying the dress.....I should have ordered a size smaller, but its too late for that now. It can be taken in in late July, if need be.

Next on my agenda was getting Husband's parts, which included a long wait at the parts counter of a business which sells bearings, chains, belts, etc. We've done business there for many years, and through all that time the same humorous poster has hung on the wall by the counter. It contains a long list of hilarious quotes, and someday I should just go in there and copy them down.....they are so good. One of my favorites is, "The light at the end of the tunnel is the headlight of an oncoming train!" Life is so often like that, it seems. You think something good is coming, but it turns out differently.

A stop at an auto parts store was next. I handed over Husband's list of needed items and let the clerk find everything. No problem. Just down the street happens to be a favorite place of mine, so I couldn't pass up a chance to go there as well. Its a shop packed full of antiques and junk. Mostly junk, but well maintained, and the owners are friendly and interesting. Everything under the sun is there......jewelry, knick-knacks of every type, books, framed pictures, tools, furniture, kitchen supplies, dishes......you name it, its there! I tried to narrow my browsing to the books and old fruit jars, which I collect. I found a Drey jar that I don't have yet, and some glass lids. I also picked out an old book on German history, but the owner saw that it was part of a set, and he couldn't find the rest of the set, so he said he would keep the book and call me later when he found the rest. Well, whatever. I only wanted to buy it because it had some chapters about politics during the Reformation, a subject I'm interested in. I think the Reformation was as much about politics as it was religion, and Lutherans rarely hear much about that.

After the fun at the junk store, it was off to Sam's Club. A boy from my church works there, so I visited with him for awhile. Sam's Club is great, but a person really has to be careful not to pick out too many items, or the bill quickly adds up to too much. I like to buy just certain things there......and I try not to look at anything else. Easier said than done.

Next stop was Penneys at the mall, and a dreaded session of trying on bras. Ugh. Unclothed middle-aged human beings are not a pretty sight. Sometimes I almost wonder if Eve, of Garden of Eden fame, was seduced not by an apple, but by the promise of clothing. Humankind could never have survived in the naked state......it gets cold in the winter in some parts of the world! Plus, humans just look better in clothes. The fitting room next to mine was being used by two women who looked to be sisters. One was trying on bras the other one brought to her. Their conversation was hilarious. The one in the room was hollering things like, "The girls are falling out of this one!", "The girls don't like this one!", "Get me the 44D." Males have no idea how awful it is to try and find the right bra. I tried on about a dozen and found just one of those that was sort of OK.

When I left Penneys, the sky which had been threatening rain all day, had finally let loose, and was pouring. Rummaging around in the van, I finally found an old dusty umbrella to use while I ran through the Target parking lot. I made sure I had a sweater with me as the Target store is always freezing. Quickly, my cart became filled with miscellaneous groceries and supplies and through the checkout line I went, looking forward to heading for home (a light at the end of the tunnel!). As I pushed my cart full of sacks to the front door and opened my umbrella, I reached into my pocket to get the van keys.......the pocket was empty (the oncoming train!). They must be in my purse, I thought.......but how wrong that thought was. My heart sank. The keys were locked in the van, and the rain was still pouring down. Great. I called home and told Husband and Son what had happened and that I would be delayed. Then I just stood there trying to think of what to do, finally deciding to get a Starbucks decaf and sit by the window for awhile to see if the rain would stop. On a wall which I had never looked at before, because I don't usually sit down in Starbucks, was a huge collage-type painting. Big words at the bottom said, "Joyfulness evokes another world". Really. In other words something like, "Think happy, and you will find yourself to be happy." Good advice, I decided, and forced myself to maintain an optimistic attitude, and keep my little dilemma in perspective.....much worse things can happen than locking your keys in your vehicle!

Through the raindrops on the Starbucks window, I could see my old van sitting forlornly way out in the parking lot. People were running to and fro, some with umbrellas, most not. Husband had reminded me on the phone that the small side window of the van, behind the driver's seat, can be opened from the outside. (As if he thought I could crawl through that tiny window!) Then an idea popped up. I asked the Starbucks server if I could leave my full cart there, and then went back into Target and bought a broom for $1.39, and a cheap rain poncho. With some effort, I was able to slide the little van window open. Then I put the broom through and started blindly hitting at the area on the driver's door where the automatic unlock button is. This went on for ten minutes or so until my arm was tired. The rain continued to fall, but I was staying fairly dry under the poncho. My cell phone showed a missed call from home, so I returned the call. Husband wondered how things were going, and I told him not so good. As we talked, I started absently hitting at the door again, and all of a sudden I heard that wonderful ker-clunk of the doors unlocking! I told Husband that talking to him must have brought good luck! I ran back to Starbucks for my cart, and finally was on my way, stopping also at Pizza Hut to get food to take home.

What a day! Never a dull moment. Watch out for those oncoming trains!




No comments: