Monday, November 19, 2007

Constipated Mind

My mind feels constipated------I've had no chance to walk, read, or blog the last few days. Just too much going on, and it affects my outlook.

Our high school football team won the state championship over the weekend! We were back at the Dome for the big game------a tough defensive struggle which we won due to a couple plays that went miraculously well.

Out in the Dome parking lot after the game, traffic was so congested that we sat for an hour before even being able to back out of our parking spot. Our two daughters were with us, so it was a nice chance to visit with them. As we sat watching the vehicles crawl by, one shiny sports car suddenly pulled into the line, out of turn, and sat in the way of several other vehicles. Obviously, the driver was impatient to get going, as we all were, and we could hear him swearing into his cell phone. We recognized him------he's not someone we know well, but we know who he is. He probably wouldn't have known us. Husband commented, "Wow, I didn't know he was such a jerk."

It was a thought-provoking little moment, and it made me realize how important it is for each of us to be aware at all times of the impression we are giving to other people by our behavior, language, etc. Each of us has the potential to be a "jerk", and we need to keep tabs on that tendency.

Maybe I'm a jerk in some of my blog writings. Could be. And here I go again........

We had a new vacancy pastor in church yesterday. His preaching style was like a machine; he spoke in a rapid cadence, which, actually was quite easy to stay in step with. Some pastors pause alot as they preach, and don't develop a consistent rhythm for us pew-sitters to follow along with. As always, the sermon consisted of the same old "Lutheran Load", as I've decided to call it-----"You can't choose anything good......you only can choose the bad." Yes, yes, outside of Christ that is true. They never preach like we're actually "in Christ", though. The negative is dwelt on........just like when a person constantly runs him or herself down........they think they're being humble or something, when actually they are keeping the focus selfishly on themselves.

After an unusually busy Sunday afternoon------we had to rush through our noon meal so our son could go somewhere; then I had to write out bill payments and make a hot dish for the football banquet which started at 5 p.m., effectively shooting the whole afternoon. The banquet was nice, if you're into such things. Due to Husband milking cows in the late afternoon and evening on a daily basis, I end up going solo to activities held at that time of day, which means that over the years I've attended many, many events by myself.

Thankfully, I found a kindred soul to sit by and chat with at the banquet, since I don't really fit in with the tight jeans/dark eyeliner crowd that was there. And here's my old standard complaint about small town school districts: If you didn't go to school there yourself, then you never quite fit in with any of the cliques. Which is fine, since I can't stand clique-ishness, anyway. Most of those people, however, have never left the security of their hometown, and they have no idea what its like to join a new community. I hail from only a few miles away-----in a neighboring school district community-----but sometimes it seems like from another planet.

My son was pleased to have earned a varsity football letter, and his mother was tickled that he also received a district academic award.

There now......I've released some of that mind constipation, and I feel much better!



No comments: