Friday, January 4, 2008

Home Alone & Pondering

I'm enjoying a rare evening alone; Husband went to watch our son's high school basketball game. I washed milkers so he could get there on time. He better not complain about going alone......over the years I've attended countless school events alone while he milked cows. Turn-about is fair play.....so they say.

So how best to enjoy my little bit of quiet time alone here at home? Well, obviously, first of all, I'm blogging. Then I plan to make some popcorn and watch an episode from the Medium DVD (the first season) I bought for Christmas. I wish "Medium" was not the name given to this show. Allison is not a medium, as in one who tries to contact the dead. She receives information in dreams, an ability she did not seek out. Also, Allison's husband and three daughters, and their family interactions, add much to the show, and their house looks like a normal lived-in home, sort of cluttered and messy.

Actually, also, I'm reading a book about dreams and coincidence right now-----The Three "Only" Things-----by Robert Moss. Because of my own experiences with dreams, I believe there is a method to the madness of dreaming, but it is conveyed in a complicated language. A language forgotten in our modern age. Awhile back I read Moss' book Dreamways of the Iroquois, in which he writes of how ancient peoples viewed dreaming. It was tremendously important to them and in the Bible we get hints of this, although Christianity has turned away from putting stock in dreams. They are "only" dreams......something to be ignored. That's the gist of Moss' book, The Three "Only" Things. The other two are coincidence and imagination.

In the barn this morning, Husband had the radio tuned to the Glenn Beck Show. Beck's fill-in was taking calls concerning last evening's Iowa Caucus victors, Barack Obama and Mike Huckabee. Sounds like Huckabee has the backing of home-schoolers, who are a significant sub-culture. My brother and his wife homeschool their four children. I admire people who can commit to such an undertaking, but I always hope they are also providing for their children's social development. My brother and I have argued on that point.
My sister-----whose children attend school----- and I, believe that my brother and his wife are telling their kids that school is a bad place where they would be made fun of. Things their son has said leads us to this conclusion. He acts like he wishes he could go to school, and its too bad that he'll grow up with no school buddies to remember. But, my brother and his wife are doing what they think is best, so more power to them.
I could feel like a failure, probably, because I didn't attempt homeschooling. Some of Husband's relatives homeschool, too, and one of them asked me once why I never homeschooled! Sheesh. How could I ever explain it to them. It would never have worked here on this very busy livestock farm. My husband is around all the time, expecting meals and help whenever he needs it. Most days I was overwhelmed by trying to get laundry done, cook meals, do yardwork, help Husband, etc., etc. These women that homeschool have husbands who are gone all day at a job. They have no farm responsibilities-----their total focus is on their kids, all day long. Thus, homeschooling works for them, but it doesn't work for everyone. Period.
So, bless them all if they want to support Mike Huckabee. Maybe he is the right person to be our next president-----I certainly don't know at this point, though.
Why is it that sometimes the spaces between my paragraphs are omitted? That's why this last half of my post looks like one gigantic paragraph, and I don't like it.

No comments: