Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Clouds Take Over Again

Yesterday was sunny, finding me taking full advantage of that fact by spending as much time outdoors as possible. In the morning after chores I went rock-hunting in the field for awhile. After lunch, picking up sticks in the yard occupied my time. We have those tall, towering soft maple trees which drop scads of sticks on a regular basis. We had those on the farm I grew up on, too........I wonder how many hundreds of times I heard my mother say to us kids, "Get outdoors and pick up sticks!!"

By 4 p.m. yesterday a bank of dark gray clouds was crawling upwards from the western horizon. Soon the sun was swallowed up by the encroaching leaden mass, as you can see in the photo below......the sun sending out its last gasping rays before disappearing.
*************
*************
*************
Making an about face and looking east, this was the sight........the leading finger of the invading army of gloomy clouds projects itself across the late afternoon sky:

***************
***************
The clouds brought thunderstorms and heavy rains throughout today's early morning hours. The first booming burst of thunder awakened me at around 4 a.m. At 5:30, it was raining cats and dogs.......very heavy. We don't have our rain gauge tube set out yet, but I'm guessing we received an inch or more.
******************
This is discouraging weather for the crop farmers, who have their tillage implements and planters readied for action; there they sit, still and silent, in the sheds, watching the rain come down.



6 comments:

Mary Connealy said...

This was last night?
We didn't get any rain and my husband had hoped to get into the field today.
I hope.

Sherry said...

We didn't get very much, but it hasn't helped. Parker is getting depressed, thinking it's his fault for parking too close to the house where it gets the wettest form run off from the hill. Course, it's not, he had no idea. It's pretty dang frustrating. I've heard no tractors in the fields, either my brother-in-law or our neighbors. I'm sure everyone is getting testy. And thanks for the heads up on the web site, I saw it earlier and was planning on returning and linking up. Sounds interesting.

Jeannelle said...

Mary,

Yes, these photos were yesterday around 5 p.m. Then it clouded over completely and rained during the night.

I hope your husband was able to get into the field day....that would be good news.

***********

Sherry,

Yes, this is definitely a frustrating spring coming off the same sort of winter. We are fortunate that quite a bit of our farm acres are in hay, so we're not as concerned as other farmers about getting into the fields to plant corn.

Good luck with your mud!

Country Girl said...

Jeannelle, these are lovely cloud pictures. Every Friday, Olivia at Parvum Opus
http://parvumopus.blogspot.com/
posts a Friday cloud blog.

I'm not sure, but I think she invites others to join. I've seen other people's names on the cloud pictures.

Amy Jane (Untangling Tales) said...

Found you from a comment at Jen F's Art post.

I love these pix (clouds are special to me for some reason). I'm sorry they mean ill for your world.

It's interesting, you talking about planters having to wait.

Here in my part of Alaska we're still nurturing starters under grow lights while we wait for the snow to be gone (late leaving this year) and for killing nights to be past.

The conventional advice is to not put anything in the ground until June 1.

I'm not sure how many people actually follow this advice.

Jeannelle said...

Hi country girl,

Its such fun to take cloud photos! They're different every time. Thanks for the link to the cloud blog.

**************

Welcome, Amy Jane!

Wouldn't you know, I'd get caught complaining about our "late" spring by someone from Alaska, where there's still snow and freezing temps!! You've put me in my place and given me new perspective. Thanks!