Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Red Wing vs Red Flag

Here's the scene that met me as I neared the end of our long farm lane on my walk this morning:
This redwing blackbird seems to be seriously contemplating the red flag of the mailbox! Maybe he's thinking, "Hm-m......let's see.......its black and red like me.......but it doesn't sing like me........so what in the heck is it???? Do I need to be concerned that it will compete with me for a girlfriend???"

***********************************
Husband and I had an appointment at the bank this morning, to sign our lives away on a new farm note, necessary because Father-in-Law is now deceased. As we prepared to leave the house, I spied my camera on the kitchen counter and feeling the sudden urge to take it along, tossed it into my purse.
*******************
In the banker's office a short time later, we three were exchanging the usual pleasantries before getting down to business. On his big, cluttered desk was a framed photo of a local farm, so I simply asked, "Did you take that photo?" Well, that started an avalanche........he nodded and his face lit up as he explained how much he enjoys his photography hobby! Then, I told him of my similar interest, and that I've been trying to take my camera along wherever I go........and, that, in fact, it was in my purse as we spoke! He mused on how the snow can provide amazing effects in photos, and so I pulled my camera out and showed him my train and river shots from the snowy morning last week. He wondered right away if he could submit some of them for the Iowa Bankers Association calendar contest. I said, "Sure, why not". So he downloaded them onto his computer.
***********************
Anyway, it was great fun to converse with someone else who is excited about amateur photography. The banker likes to hunt, and he remarked that he always takes his camera along, just in case some intriguing scene comes into view. He's a kindred spirit! Poor Husband, he just sat there agape at our animated conversation, probably regretting that he'd brought me along!
************************
This afternoon, the banker emailed me and said that after our conversation this morning, he's feeling renewed inspiration to get out there with his camera, wherever he can, to take pictures. He's a really nice guy......we've known him for years........but, I'd never known before this morning that he enjoys photography.
***********************
So here's today's life lesson: Don't ever ignore that urge to take your camera with you......or to comment on someone's photo!!!

4 comments:

Russell said...

Very interesting. I would like to see your train photos, too! I love trains!

See - lots of people like to take photos! It is something like the enjoyment of photography that provides a common bond between so many people.

And, I know a little bit about those farm loans...!!! Goes with the territory and it will turn out just fine! You have to spend the money to make it, as they say...

Anonymous said...

What a neat story. I don't usually see people out photographing here. But I sure drag my camera with me a lot more these days!

Sherry said...

Jeannelle, I predict that some day, we will be going to the museum to see a retrospective on your photography! Nothing is better than a good all consuming hobby! It's amazing how we discover how much alike mere acquaintences are!

Jeannelle said...

Thanks for stopping by!


Russell,

I'm sorry.....I meant to say train tracks......there was no train.

Long ago, I learned to stop worrying about farm debt......its just pieces of paper floating around, not having much affect on day-to-day life.

*************

Kacey,

Yeah, that conversation with the banker really made my day.....and it was totally unexpected.

************

Sherry,

Goodness.....thank you for the kind words. You're right about the value of a hobby......I've never really had one before. Too busy taking care of kids for many years.