Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Evening Walk


Just the thing to clear one's head of the day's haze-----an evening walk----- and this one I enjoyed just a couple days ago, after the calf chores were done.

*********************************

First of all, this enchanting dappling of shadows caught my eye, prompting a quick dash to the house to get the camera. That goldish stuff in the tree branches is bunches of those helicopter-like maple seeds; there seems to be an overabundance of them this year.

***********************************************
Evening light turned out to be the best for catching a clear photo of this columbine in the flower bed. I usually save plant tags and after a bit of rummaging, this one's was found, showing its variety name to be "Aquilegia", the color being "clementine red".

*******************************************

I walked along our gravel road for a ways, scanning the ditch for the latest blooming wildflowers, one of which is Prairie Phlox, shown below. Their color varies from white to light pink to deep pink to lavendar. This one seems to be a mixture, and has some interesting companion plants alongside. On the right, in front of the phlox.......what is that?? Can anyone tell me? We have scads of them around here.......we call it "snake grass", but I've never yet found its official name in a plant book.

In a prairie wildflower book I have, the entry for "Prairie Phlox" includes this info: "The Meskwaki made a tea of the leaves and used it as a wash for treating eczema. Also, the root was used with several other unspecified plants as part of a love potion!...........Several garden varieties have been adapted from these native phlox species."

*********************************************

Oh, my......getting way down in the ditch was required to capture this "Solomon's Seal" from this particular angle, with the end-of-day sunlight glowing in the background. The dogs had to join me there in the ditch, excitedly sniffing around.......they must have thought I'd found a critter they could chase! The consequence of my foray into the undergrowth was itchy arms for the rest of the evening!

The dangling Solomon's Seal blooms are just beginning to form. Last year, I took a look inside one of the flowers and found out where the name of the plant evidently comes from........the innards of the flower forms a very tiny Star of David or Solomon's Seal - like design! I would need a better camera with a macro-lens to be able to photograph it clearly, however.

***********************************************

Well, I managed to climb out of the weedy ditch, dust myself off, and glance around in time to be amazed by this very colorful sunset! I didn't retouch the colors in this photo at all. (And, a bird flew into the scene just in time to be included in the top left corner of the picture........I could've cropped him out, but lacked ambition to do so.)


*******************************************

I hope you, too, get the chance to indulge in an evening walk sometime very soon!!

12 comments:

rhymeswithplague said...

I haven't thought about "maple helicopters" in years.

Could the plant in front of the prairie phlox be liriope? Around here liriope is used to line flower beds and is also known as monkey grass. It comes in plain and variegated varieties. Very popular with suburbanites in upscale subdivisions. Also with landscapers of office parks.

I never knew about the Star of David in a Solomon's Seal before. In fact, I never knew about a plant called Solomon's Seal before.

The sunset photo is absolutely stunning. In my mind's eye I saw a crowd of people in a museum gazing with astonishment at a large painting on a wall and commenting on the painter's skill, imagination, and talent.

Very nice post.

rhymeswithplague said...

I'm dying to use your sunset photo in my blog. May I?

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

This is just a beautiful post. I love the color of that pink flower. And the Soloman's seal is just stunning.

I seem to have a lot of maple seeds this year too. I'm going to be pulling seedlings out of the garden all summer!

Anonymous said...

We have also been given an abundance of maple seeds this year. My neighbor has twice VACUUMED her lawn to remove them!

I am quite intrigued by the Solomon's Seal. I wonder how it differs from false Solomon's Seal.

Thanks for such a pretty, pretty post

Pat - Arkansas said...

A nice walk, excellent photos and commentary. I enjoyed learning about Solomon's Seal; what an interesting plant. I don't know what the plant is by the Phlox, but it doesn't look like liriope to me. My garden has an overabundance of that creeping plant; it loves Arkansas yards and will take over unless vigorously thinned.
The sunset photo is beautiful.

Russell said...

Wow!! I love the photos. You have some beautiful flowers close to you and seeing them reminds me how much beauty there is in the world if we just take time to look...

I spend a bit of time every evening around dusk (does that make sense? oh well...)sitting on my deck. It looks to the south and I can see the town a few miles away, watch the trains go by off on the horizon and take in the quiet. Bailey, my dog, lays next to me but sometimes gets up to run here or there.

Before the bugs arrive, this is a great time of year to be out!

Take care.

Judy said...

Thanks for showing us the beauty in the ordinary on your evening walk! And the most extraordinary sunset...beautiful. I love when I get birds in my photos that I wasn't expecting!

Jeannelle said...

rhymeswithplague,

Yes, you may use the photo.....please don't die over it! God created a world of rhythmic beauty......sunrise/sunset, the seasons, the hours, etc, etc.....ever amazing!

***************

Ruth,

Yes, the phlox are so pretty, but the blooms are short-lived.....just like most flowers, I guess.

**************

caution,

Your mention of "false Solomon's Seal" was intriguing, so I looked it up in the flower book: The true and false have similar-looking leaves, but the true SS has flowers which dangle beneath the leaves, and the false SS has blooms at the top of the plant. Evidently, the false SS does have a six-pointed star design in its bloom, however. Maybe it is actually the "true" one, and the other one is "false". How would anyone know, really??!


************

Pat,

As kids, my sister and I would play with that "snake grass", pulling apart the sections and putting them back together again. Its pretty weird, for a plant!

***************


Russell,

I can get my head around "every evening around dusk"! Your deck sounds like a peaceful place!

You might have these same plants and flowers in your road ditch, too. (And, you had to mention bugs....didn't you.....too soon they'll be here to annoy us.)

************

Judy,

Thanks for stopping by......I need to get over to your blog to link up and go traveling!!

Marg said...

Thanks for stopping by and I look forward to blogging with those who have similar backgrounds.
We had a dairy for 25 years with purebreds and now we are farming broilers. I feel like we died and went to heaven after we sold the dairy.
I've added your link to my blog.
I enjoyed your blog and yes, get onto Judy's link.

Jeannelle said...

marg,

That's cute, how you felt after getting out of dairying! Yes, it certainly ties a person down....and, once in a while its nice to meet someone who understands!

Country Girl said...

Such a nice post, Jeannelle. I felt as if I were taking a walk right next to you. And now I need to have a quick rest. We've walked very far this evening . . .

Egghead said...

Lovely photos. My favorite is that sky! Stunning!