Thursday, June 19, 2008

Gulf of Tiredness

The Gulf of Tiredness is where I go for vacations.......yesterday we baled small square bales, and there are photos of that to post, but not now.......I am completely exhausted after a day of driving the rake and the baler. While trudging to the house last evening, I quickly snapped a shot of these Golden Columbine, which are extra prolific in the blooming department this year.
The scientific----or whatever----name is Aquilegia "Denver Gold". Last year it had only a handful of blossoms.
****************
Husband is simply in his glory when baling is going smoothly, with good drying weather and properly-working machinery. Our farm is 200 acres, 80 of which is in hay this year. We have baled 27 acres of that 80, meaning 53 acres remain covered in hay swaths lying on the ground waiting to be chopped or baled. Husband says the plan for tomorrow is to chop hay and put it in the silo as hay silage, which we call "haylage".
***************
Husband is blessed with an exceptionally strong constitution.......maybe its a German farmer trait.......he never gets tired, or sick......and never takes a vacation, and can't figure out why other people get sick, or tired, and take vacations. I lag far behind him in energy and stamina, and that's becoming more pronounced as time marches on. I'm not complaining......just stating facts. Husband is very blessed to be so strong and healthy........ I am thus blessed, also, of course, but not so much in the vim and vigor category. There's a yawning gulf between our energy levels. Is this common between men and women, do you think?
***************
Enjoy your Thursday! Mid-June is a gorgeous time of year........I was thinking that yesterday as I raked back and forth across the hay field.......is there any other time in the year when the sunshine seems so balmy, and almost healing in nature. Maybe that's because we're approaching the summer solstice, with the sun at its zenith for the year!
*************
***********
***********

12 comments:

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

That's a beautiful shot of the columbine. I love the milkcan.

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Ruth!

Yes, one cool thing about an old dairy farm where nothing ever gets thrown away......lots of rusty milkcans to be found! Fun to use for decorations.

Pat - Arkansas said...

Hang in there! I know you can't see the light at the end of the tunnel because the tunnel is full of H.A.Y., but the light IS there.

Whoever coined the phrase "make hay while the sun shines" was most likely a stout-hearted farmer, and it's true of course. One can't make hay in the rain. I can only imagine your exhaustion after working that much hay. I remember as a teen, riding a tractor-pulled old fashioned hay rake and making windrows for the baler. I was an active 18 years old at the time, and we had a measly 60 acres of alfalfa, but it plumb wore me out. I was really glad when hay season was over. I did get a very strong right arm out of the deal, though!

{{{Hugs}}}

Oh, the columbine is gorgeous!!

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Pat!

Don't you know the light at the end of the tunnel is the headlight of an oncoming train!!!

Seriously.....it sounds like you're an experienced haymaker....60 acres is alot. I grew up on a hog farm, so baling hay was not something I had experienced before marrying my cowman husband.

Have a great day!

Country Girl said...

Oh, I've missed coming but am now back on my internet as of tonight and am keeping my fingers crossed!

My husband was the one with the vim and vigor. I'm in the same boat as you. Some days I could just go on and on, and others I find myself thinking of my big soft bed with the wonderful sheets.

Jeannelle said...

Hi, countrygirl!

So nice to have you drop by this evening! But, you'd better behave yourself with that internet of yours so you don't end up getting grounded again!!

I'm appreciative of your understanding words!

Take care!

rhymeswithplague said...

Jeannelle, you have a right to be tired. Just reading about all the work required on a farm makes me downright exhausted. I don't think I would have enough stamina to survive that much plain old hard work. My hat is off to you and your husband.

Oh, and the columbines, as everyone has said, are beautiful.

Jeannelle said...

rhymeswithplague,

Thanks for stopping by with encouraging words! The thing is.....I don't feel I work very hard, but I surely get tired doing what little I do do.....maybe some of the exhaustion my husband never feels is getting funnelled to me instead!

The W.O.W. factor! said...

Loved your remark to Pat: "Don't you know the light at the end of the tunnel is the headlight of an oncoming train!!!"
That's the world of Agriculture!
And I feel it everyday~ getting closer! LOL!

Jeannelle said...

the w.o.w. factor,

Thanks for stopping in for a visit!

I can relate to what "w.o.w." stands for!

rhymeswithplague said...

Jeannelle, I just looked at all of your brother-in-law's pictures of the flooding in Cedar Rapids. How sad to see such damage and devastation. I saw on TV that 400 blocks were under water and that the water was 12 feet deep in some of the buildings.

My Dad's hometown was Cedar Rapids. Although he is buried in Texas, his parents and three of his four brothers are buried in Linn County. His brother Leo, who had been in the Navy, was cremated and his ashes were scattered over the Cedar River. Whenever my Dad was near the ocean, he would always "throw in a rose for Leo."
I thought about them all this week.

Jeannelle said...

rhymeswithplague,

Well, I hope none of the cemeteries took on floodwaters.....

I can certainly understand why you'd be thinking of those loved ones from your past, and from the CR area.

Yes, what a gigantic mess for CR and all the other communities that were flooded this season.