Sunday, June 22, 2008

Silkmoths on Sunday

This morning we attended a community church service in a small-town park near here, held each 3rd Sunday in June to conclude the town's annual celebration. Afterwards, we stopped at our son's fiancee's parents' home to gawk at a moth couple they had noticed earlier in the morning. As usual, my purse held a camera (I know, that's getting pretty bad......when a person carts a camera along to church!!).



*******************
*******************
Yes.......its a somewhat graphic view of moths mating........at least, that's what we assumed they were up to. Click the photos to see the pair larger. Especially fascinating, I think, are the feathery antennae on the lower (female?) moth, and also the velvety texture of the red legs and striped bodies!



*****************
*****************


After searching a bit on the internet, I think these moths may be Cecropia Silkmoths, hyalophora cecropia. Click to read more information about that particular species of moth. What do you think? Is this the right variety of moth?


*****************
*****************


We think the wingspan was about 5 inches across:



Update: My son's fiancee sent me this link to another website with information about the Cecropia Silkmoth.


************


************


I'm going to try to shut up and shutter the camera for a few days and visit other blogs. There are just SO MANY intriguing and beautiful ones out there. The blogging world is quite a subculture.........connections forged, opinions aired, thoughts exchanged, photo scenes shared.........its like new nerve pathways being formed in the cortex of the brain of earth.......who knows what benefits may result.........maybe a brighter consciousness in which to share, care, and be aware.

*******************

*******************


3 comments:

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

What a beautiful moth. I don't think I've ever seen one. Great photos.

Pat - Arkansas said...

I think you're correct in your identification. Beautiful creatures.

Don't stay away from your camera for too long while you're blog hopping; we'd miss you.

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Ruth & Pat,

I've never seen one of these before either. The only moths I ever see are the little annoying ones fluttering around lights at night.

Thanks always for the kind, encouraging words!