Tuesday, July 29, 2008

From Caution


"Caution flag" of TheHumanRace600 blog, who is definitely a "thinking blogger" herself, thoughtfully included me in this award on her post today.
************
There are two other "thinking blogger award" recipients mentioned in her post, Ann of From the Front Porch and Pam of MapperSnapper. Ann's blog draws me because it originates from northwest Montana, a beautiful area I once visited; Husband has relatives out there. Also, I'm intrigued by the fact that Ann's blog is a no-comment blog, and she explains her reasons for that on her "About" page. She brings up a good point.......that the risk of receiving comments is that we then begin to blog to an audience, possibly moving in directions other than what we originally intended for the blog. Not that that's necessarily bad, of course........one might start out blogging with the hopes of gaining an audience to blog to. But, it sounds as if Ann is determined to blog in her own way, from her own heart and mind, without the influence of comments, and I admire that decision.
************
Caution herself received two deserved awards, and also graciously bestowed The Colors of Friendship award on two bloggers . Click on over to today's post on TheHumanRace600 to learn of these awards and blogs.
************
THANK YOU, CAUTION!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeannelle, first of all congrats on the new award. you are getting em girl! And I'm most intrigued by Ann's blog. I certainly can understand her thinking. I on the other hand am blatently solicitous of comments! I really do enjoy getting to know folks, and feeling that I'm saying something that is interesting. But I do agree that it does begin to influence your thinking about what you write. I have to continually make myself write what I feel, not what I think others will find okay, at least on the controversial things. I thought long and hard about the pics I posted today for instance, but felt the point needed to be made. In the end, one must be guided by one's internal being. I hope I can stay true to me.

Loved the photos of the cute little calf today too. How sweet!

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Sherry!

Great comment! Yes, I do agree we bloggers need to be sure and remain true to ourselves.....good thing to remember!

Thanks for stopping in!

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Jeannelle, congratulations.

Interesting info about Ann's blog. Blogging does have its seductions, and even after three months, I've had to catch myself when I start to think, "I can't post THAT. I'll offend so-and-so." When I catch myself self-censoring, I almost always make myself publish the thing I worry about.

But I couldn't go without comments. As a professional writer, one reason I blog is to see what types of writing resonate most with readers. That will help me to know what to pursue in my non-blogging writing life.

Country Girl said...

Oh, Jeannelle! Good for you and sincere congratulations!

I couldn't do it without the comments, for without them I'd never have gotten to "know" others from near and far. I do understand, however, the reasoning behind a no-comment blog. It's just not for me.

Liz said...

I've hemmed and hawed here not wanting to "hijack" a post - or comments ...but ultimately unable to resist...

As all have stated, a very personal decision about comments or not and I very much enjoyed receiving then and a certain community feeling that comes with getting and giving comments...and obviously I still comment :)!

It is my "On Eagles Wings" page and also a post "A loose hold" (7/4) that really explain my decision.

It was right for me at this time - it may change at some point.

An interesting consequence is that I am getting email from people who have been reading for some time and NEVER commented. And while not as many emails as comments, the emails tend to be more personal and I respond and relationship is established. The "downside" is the lack of conversation - such as the one occuring here about comments - no comments....

Whether it is blogging, twitter, web sites, self-publishing on the internet of whatever sort, I find it incredibly intereresting how communication, relationships and general sharing of life is occuring in this "age".

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Ruth and Country Girl,

Thank you for your insights on comments!

Ann,

You needn't worry about "hi-jacking a post"......I'm always glad to read any comments.

Your perspective gives me a new avenue to think on. I truly did start out blogging just for me. I blogged for almost a year, just by myself....no comments.....probably because I made little attempt to socialize in the blog world. My big change came when I started being able to upload photos. But, truly, writing is what drew me to blogging in the first place.

It is great to make your acquaintance!

rhymeswithplague said...

Comments? Who makes comments?

Jeannelle said...

rhymesie,

You are a skilled commentor (is that a word?)....or maybe it should be commentator.....is that more correct?