Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Blueberries & Egghead

As far as I know, blueberries are not grown in Iowa; they take a certain type of soil, I think, and a cooler climate........I think........but don't really know for sure. What I do know is that blueberries are delicious!!
*************
***************
***************
Every year around this time, my mom and stepdad take several trips to Michigan to pick up blueberries for area grocery stores. They went yesterday. The day's schedule always sounds grueling to me.......they get up at MIDNIGHT to leave the Waterloo area, driving through Chicago, and then into Michigan to wherever these berries are grown. Yesterday, there was a mix-up and they ended up waiting five hours for the blueberries to be picked. (Well, at least we know the berries are fresh!!) They drive all the way back home the same day, usually arriving in early evening, although yesterday it was late evening.

**************

**************

I ordered a five-pound box from them, at a price of $9.00. Just now, I prepared most of them for freezing.......we like them in pancakes and muffins. But, eating them fresh is really my preference, and quite a few of them somehow ended up in my mouth while I was working with them.


***************

***************

Blueberries figured into a recent post on Egghead's blog, "The Little Egg Farm". This particular post was lovely, informative, and thoughtful........which come to think of it........describes her blog to a "T"! Therefore, I'm passing this shiny little "thinking blogger" award on to Egghead. And.....hey......the little guy on the icon looks like he IS an egghead!! Thus, blogger Egghead of Oregon has to be a perfect choice for this award!!




***************
***************

10 comments:

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Blueberries have been outrageous here. I've seen them at the store at $4.00 for 6 ounces. They're coming down a bit, but not much. I need to check out the farmer's market in town. I'm usually so tied up writing that I never get over there, but I really need to make it a priority.

Marg said...

Oh, I just got 20 pounds of the best blueberries straight off the farm.
They are the sweetest and best. They cost $2 per pound.
I loved your birthing story.
Great stuff.

Country Girl said...

Congratulations to Vonda over at the Little Egg Farm! Jeannelle, I think you got a good deal on those berries. I LOVE blueberries and just made blueberry muffins yesterday. Mmmmmm.

Jeannelle said...

Ruth, Marg, Country Girl.....you all sound like blueberry lovers, too! I wish we could grow them around here.

Thanks for stopping in!

Anonymous said...

You can grow them here.Parker and I went to Lonestar? a few years back and picked about 6 quarts. There is another berry farm somewhere closer near Cedar Rapids. We never bought berries in Michigan, but picked them wild. They grow in funny places, like open bogs and on the sides of hills in the woods. We found tons one year, and had pancakes, muffins and cakes and with cream for days, and that was feeding 8 people. We nearly died for berry overload! They are horrifically expensive in Iowa though as are sweet cherries which we used to buy in Mich for 50c a quart. They are 4 bucks a quart here. Sigh

Jeannelle said...

Sherry,

Seriously??? BLUEBERRIES growing in Iowa? Good deal. I haven't heard of any farms in my area, though.

That would be so great to be able to pick blueberries in the wild!

Yes, the prices are awful in the stores, and for raspberries, too.

The W.O.W. factor! said...

Wow Lady! You've been busy blogging since I was not able to! Need to do some catching up here! I Have a friend in W. Washington who brings me fresh picked blueberries each yr...*FREE*! We love them too...especially in muffins!

rhymeswithplague said...

I love blueberries, but they're just as expensive here as where Ruth lives in Illinois. Now, during the "season," we can get two half-pints for $6.00 (that's $12.00 per pound, or $60.00 for your five-pound box). At other times I have seen a price of $4.00 for just three or four ounces of the little gems. Maybe people ought to start stringing them into necklaces instead of eating them.

Egghead said...

Well you are so sweet to give me that thinking blogger award. Hmmmm! I feel so humble like I don't deserve this, after all I learn so much from everyone else who writes. This is why I love the blogging community.

I wish you ladies lived a little closer....you could have all the blueberries your little hearts desire. We have scads and love to give them to people who love them.

Jeannelle said...

w.o.w. factor, rhymeswithplague, egghead!

More fans of blueberries, I presume!! Yes, egghead....I think we all would love to live near you right now. Fresh blueberries are about as good as it gets!