Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Midweek Silence - NOT!



**********
**********
**********

**********


I've encountered "Wordless Wednesday" on some of the SkyWatch Friday sites. Presumably, it means creating Wednesday blogposts that contain a photo and very little text chatter. I could be wrong. Below is the icon from the Wordless Wednesday blog.........I couldn't resist posting it........I love "American Gothic" by Grant Wood! He was from Iowa, you know. I was privileged to view

the original many years ago at the Art Institute of Chicago; the only thing that surprised me was how small the painting was.


************


Hm-m......they do appear to be a rather quiet, WORDLESS pair! In reality, the models for this painting were the artist's sister and the town dentist........I'd keep my mouth shut, too, if I were standing next to A DENTIST WITH A PITCHFORK IN HIS HAND!!!


***********



Here's the link to Wordless Wednesday Blog . If you can figure out what its all about and how to sign up on the list, let me know, although doing SkyWatch Friday is probably all I can handle. Its very difficult to find time to visit the myriad sites, though truly fascinating to see photos of scenes from around the world, and meet bloggers from all over!


***********

***********


I had originally planned that the title "Midweek Silence" would have to suffice for this quiet post, but obviously, its running on with lots of chatter! Which reminds me........my blogposts MIGHT possibly be somewhat quieter over the next few weeks as I attempt to prepare for my son's upcoming wedding! I couldn't be happier for him; he is marrying a wonderful girl......uh......woman......I need to realize these kids are GROWN UP!


****



HOWEVER........I do have a personal aversion to big social gatherings that require alot of advance planning. I'm into spontaneous and at-the-drop-of-a-hat. Advance planning prompts anxiety to build up, that's all. (I wanted to elope, and pleaded with my groom-to-be on this issue......seriously, that is the absolute truth!) I'm now very aware of this shortcoming of mine, though, and am steeling myself to survive the big wedding weekend.
****


And, weddings involve SO much more than back when Husband and I tied the knot. Big dinners after the ceremony were unheard of in my community back then........we had a cake reception after the wedding, and a dance later in the evening. NOW, everyone does the big, expensive dinners, shelling out thousands of dollars to feed people who probably aren't even very hungry. (Recently, I was visiting with a cousin from the Twin Cities and she said her nephew just got married and the bride's family spent $100 per plate for 300 guests!!! Sorry......nobody around here can afford that.)
****


As for the wedding dances nowadays, the DJs want couples to spend time choosing songs for special dances......bride & her father, groom & his mother, bride & father-in-law, groom & mother-in-law, etc. For our wedding dance, Husband and I hired a band......it was several guys a few years ahead of us in school.......they weren't that great, but everyone seemed to have a good time, and we didn't have to stew over the music in advance. Oh, my, and all the decorating that has to be done at the reception hall, too......I wouldn't want to be a bride in this day and age........I'd elope for sure, even if husband-to-be objected!!
****
Today, too, the gift opening has become a big event, held the day after the wedding, usually hosted by one set of parents. More food for someone to worry about!! The bride's parents are hosting, and I told the mom to please not go to alot of trouble, as she will certainly be worn out from the previous long day. We all will be! The dance goes until midnight, and then we have to clean-up! The kids hardly believe it when I tell them that at the time we got married, in the 70's.......couples didn't open their own wedding gifts!! We chose three of my friends to be gift openers, gave them corsages for their efforts, and they spent their time opening gifts during the reception.



***********

***********



Well, this grumpy, whining, chintzy party-pooper is signing off the blogpost......finally!
***********


Have a super day!


7 comments:

Caution/Lisa said...

I begged for a destination wedding. It would be just us, parents, and sibs. He said no way. So we had a beautiful local wedding. The other day I looked at some of the photos of our wedding. It was wonderful to see acquaintances who have long since passed on. But would I do the traditional wedding again? NO! One of the first words I uttered to my newborns was, "ELOPE."

Jeannelle said...

Oh, caution.....good comment!! You're right, the traditional wedding makes for wonderful memories. But, I SO don't like planning things or being the center of attention.....I really don't like that; it drains me really fast.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

And here's my favorite (not) added layer of complication--the mini reception between the afternoon ceremony and evening big reception because we can't expect adults to find a way to occupy themselves for three hours.

Sigh.

Seriously, have a good time with the event and go with the flow.

Jeannelle said...

Ruth,

Oh, dear......I hadn't thought of that one. That sort of happened after my daughter's wedding last summer, come to think of it. People sat around and messed up the tables in the reception hall, waiting for the wedding party to all arrive and be photographed. Yes.....sigh says it all.

Your advice, "go with the flow" is the best.

rhymeswithplague said...

Grant Wood was my father's public-school art teacher in Cedar Rapids, I believe at McKinley Junior High School (although it's probably called something else or has been torn down by now). This was around 1921, I think, after my Dad's family moved to C.R. from Lacrosse, Wisconsin. But he was very proud of having had Mr. Wood as an art teacher.

During our wedding planning (in 1963), my bride suggested that I wear my Air Force uniform instead of renting formal wear. I said that I would be glad to, if she would wear her nurse's uniform. That was the last I heard of that idea!

I hope you manage to find time to continue your blogging throughout the coming busy days, but we'll all understand if you don't.

rhymeswithplague said...

I really like the photo at the top of this post, the one showing the black-eyed susans (I think that's what they are) and the top portion of a milk can and the corner of the building with vertical boards. When I first saw the milk can I thought it was a crockery butter churn, and it brought back memories of my Dad filling one with brine and pickling spices and cucumbers in the pickle-making process. We also made our own applesauce (not in a butter churn or milk can, however).

See what one little photograph can do?

Jeannelle said...

rhymeswithplague,

Wow.....you analyzed that photo very well!! Yes, the flowers are Black-Eyed Susans. I once attended a picnic where sweet corn on the ear and potatoes and bratwurst were being cooked in a milkcan down in firepit. Delicious!


And, I about fell off my chair to hear your dad had Grant Wood for an art teacher!! How cool is that!! You come up with the most interesting facts!