Monday, July 28, 2008

National, Iowa

I was scraping cow manure in the barn a few minutes ago and happened to trudge by the radio as the announcer was excitedly rattling off information about the "big Clayton County Fair, held in National, Iowa!!"
*********
Clayton County is up in the hilly northeast corner of Iowa, along the Mississippi River, with the place called "National" (the first "a" in National being pronounced with the long sound), being not much more than a big red barn. So, I chuckle every year when I hear the ads for the fair. I'm sure it would be alot of fun, as this fair still boasts a dairy show, due to Clayton County being home to many dairy farms.
*********
I don't know why I'm mentioning this, except that "National" seems like an odd name for a place, whether its a city, town, or just a barn.
*********
**********
A band called "The Monuments" will be providing entertainment at some point in the fair's run this week. "The Monuments"........hilarious name! What do you bet they're guys in their 50's or 60's..........I'd love to go hear them!! Actually, as I think about it, this band is probably local to Clayton County, as Iowa's only National Monument, the Effigy Mounds Site, is located in that county, up on a high bluff above the Missisippi River north of Marquette. Its a really cool place; I've been there many times, with school groups and on family outings. The ancient animal-shaped mounds are fascinating and mysterious. Did you know Iowa had something THAT COOL!!!
***********
[[Update: I happened to look at a map after writing this post, and discovered the Effigy Mounds National Monument is actually in Allamakee County, just north of the Clayton County line. Sorry!]]
************
Back now to regularly scheduled daily activities.........

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm laughing so hard. You just have no clue what is gonna come next when a blog starts out, " I was scraping cow manure in the barn a few minutes ago. . . ." HAHA.

The little local fairs are fun, just like the little local parades. Soooo home towny! Have a great day Jeannelle, you made me giggle, and I'm sitting here with my ankle wrapped feeling stupid as I sprained it walking today. sigh...hope this doesn't take a week to heal!

Jeannelle said...

Oh, Sherry......I'm sorry to hear you sprained your ankle. I pray it heals quickly. Its no fun to not be able to walk normally.

Stay cool! I'm not, though.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I didn't know Iowa had effigy mounds. You learn something every day whether you want to or not.

Country Girl said...

Our regularly scheduled daily activities include more manure shucking, right?

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Ruth!

Are you saying you DIDN'T wish to learn that Iowa had Effigy Mounds, today?? LOL

*************

countrygirl, I mean country girl....Hi! Is that you?? With a new profile photo!! I like it!!