Friday, July 25, 2008

Please Read "Silver"

Last evening I spent quite a while visiting many of the SkyWatch Friday posts from around the globe. Because traveling is not a part of my life, I appreciate being able to visit other locales vicariously through beautiful photos on the internet. But, it also means I don't get other tasks done, such as.......creating the next day's blog post. Not that that's the end of the world or anything; skipping days is certainly no big deal.

Yesterday, because of hog-calling, I ended up linking to a story on the Prairie Home Companion website.......that story being entitled, Florabelle Oxley, written by the author of the blog, rhymeswithplague. I'm honored that he frequents my blog! He has another story on the PHC site.......it is entitled, Silver..........and I wish you would read it. He's a gifted writer, in my opinion, his stories well-crafted with superb descriptions, and his wit makes my head spin!

**************
**************
Have a great day!
******
***
*

4 comments:

rhymeswithplague said...

Once again, Jeannelle, much obliged. As the Norwegians say, tusen tak (a thousand thanks).

It's too late to change what is in the Prairie Home Companion archives, but I have made two changes to "Silver." First, I divided the long second paragraph into two paragraphs (the new paragraph starts with the sentence that begins, "Eventually we acquired..."). Second, I added another sentence in that paragraph, just after the sentence that ends, "an outdoor spigot on the side of their house." Here's the new sentence:

Sometimes I would call to Silver, "Hey, girl," whereupon she would stop grazing, look up, and neigh softly as if to say she understood completely the humiliation I felt, having to depend on others and living in substandard housing herself.

Yours for editorial freedom,
rhymeswithplague (RHB)

P. S. I know my sentences are very long, but that's just the way things are. I am unable to do one blessed thing about it. Hemingway I'm not.

Jeannelle said...

rhymeswithplague,

Thanks for teaching me "tusen tak".....that's cute. Sometimes I wish I spoke Norvegian or Dutch....our word "walk" is "clompen" in Dutch. I just love that!! Clomp, clomp, clomp.

Well, you would just think that you could add the changes somehow to your story on PHC, with everything else that's possible in this day and age.

Oh, well.....your story is still excellent! I don't mind the long sentences. Makes it more real.....like you're really talking to us. Oh, I could just feel your affection for Silver, and I'm sorry your dad decided to ride her that day.

Several years ago I read the book "A Map of the World". I don't recall the author's name, but it was the most rambling book I had ever read in my life. The journey through the thoughts of the main character was simply amazing, and I felt almost like it was me......she was an LPN and a dairy farmer's wife, and had bizarre circumstances overtake her life. So, you go right ahead and keep rambling in long sentences......it makes for great story-telling!

Egghead said...

I have read both of his stories now and you are right. I could get lost in a book of his. He should write a book.

Jeannelle said...

DO YA HEAR THAT, RHYMESWITHPLAGUE.......egghead SAYS YOU SHOULD WRITE A BOOK AND I AGREE!!!