Sunday, August 31, 2008

Take Photos At Funerals

A few days ago, we attended the funeral of Husband's 99-year-old great-aunt, at an ELCA Lutheran church in Waverly, Iowa. The sanctuary was framed on all sides by stunningly gorgeous stained-glass windows; I ventured back in there after the lunch to take photos. (By the way, for any LCMS readers out there: this ELCA funeral was very old-time, orthodox Lutheran. In the lunch line after the funeral, I found myself next to the pastor who had preached the very excellent funeral sermon. While scooping chicken casserole and potato salad onto our plates, we conversed briefly about the current state of Lutheranism, and he recommended a book to me, Principles of Lutheran Theology, by Carl Braaten, although he said it was a bit "academic".)

***
***

There was such a multitude of stained-glass windows in that church, I hardly know where to start, but will begin with this scene of Jesus praying in the Garden of Gethsemane. This window is situated above the altar area:

***
***


It is flanked by these next two windows, depicting the two Lutheran Sacraments:


**
COMMUNION:



**
BAPTISM:


***
***
I didn't take my new camera to the funeral, so this shot of the altar with its beautiful Last Supper carving is not as clear as I would have liked:


***
***
Before the funeral, the casket was in the church narthex for viewing, alongside a table of family photos, many very old. I snapped pictures of the old photos. In case you don't realize it, that is a great way to acquire family history photos for yourself. In my post about Aunt Luella a few days ago, her photo shown there was cropped out of a snapshot of several photos sitting on the table. After cropping and enlarging, it turned out quite well, I think. (I did ask her daughter for permission first. She exclaimed, "Oh, yes......take pictures, and give me some later!") And, as I was snapping the photos, the funeral home guy came up to me and said, "Its wonderful that you're doing this........families usually forget to take photos at funerals. Be sure you take pictures at the committal service in the cemetery, too." I did, and later burned two CD's of the day's photos and sent them to Aunt Luella's daughter and son.


***
***

Should anyone be interested in reading the funeral sermon, email me at junebug1976@hotmail.com .

***
***

7 comments:

Pat - Arkansas said...

Those are beautiful stained glass windows.

Laura ~Peach~ said...

beautiful stain glass and great Idea to take pictures... I took pictures during the family part of services but not after friends and public were allowed in.

rhymeswithplague said...

Jeannelle, what a beautiful church! I love the stained glass, especially the beautiful depiction in stained glass of the well-known Heinrich Hoffman painting. The altar carving of the Last Supper is less reminiscent of the da Vinci painting, but richly beautiful nonetheless.

Thank you for taking the photos and sharing them with us.

Country Girl said...

Jeannelle, these stained glass windows are beautiful. I can you with your camera in church snapping photos.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

What a beautiful church.

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Pat, Laura, rhymsie, Country Girl, Ruth!

You ain't seen nothin' yet! Although, Jesus in Gethsemane is one of my favorite scenes ever, whether as a painting or set in stained glass!

The W.O.W. factor! said...

Those stained glass windows are sectacular!
Thanks for sharng them!