Friday, September 12, 2008

Rainy Games & Losses

Lalaladeedumdee.......
**
"Hangin' around,
Nothin' to do but frown,
Rainy games and losses
Always get me down."
It was another rainy football Friday night. My perspective of the game was dictated by drippy umbrellas, which was fine, really, for things did not go well for our team out on the gridiron field. Oh, there were occasional bright spots.......a first down.......a pass caught........but, then immediately following that, something bad would happen........a fumble, a silly penalty when we were at the 2-yard line about to score.........etc. My son had one cool play, though.......he blocked an extra point kick!


Most of the time, my best bet was to hunker down behind this big black umbrella and wait it out. As you can see, MY umbrella was red and white.........the colors of the opposing team, which I certainly was not aware of before arriving at the game! If that might have been a jinx, it did not work! We lost 14-0. Some of the loud old men who are accustomed to our school having a winning team were voicing their displeasure repeatedly during the game. Oh, get over it already, why don't you.......was what I felt like retorting back to them, but I would never do that, believe me.

**
Several years ago, I did tell a guy off at a game once, though........I shouldn't have, but I did. Funny thing.......I saw that same guy tonight......actually, I went up to him and told him how glad I am to see his son playing football this year. The guy reached right around and gave me a hug, which is really odd......maybe he had been drinking, I don't know, but then he and Husband and I had a really nice conversation. I feel as if things are fully patched up now.

**
**
My thoughts and prayers are with everyone in the path of Hurricane Ike. A bit of drizzly rain at a football game is nothing compared to being hit head-on by a hurricane.

**
**
(Did anyone recognize the mangled song at the beginning?)
**
**

5 comments:

DesertHen said...

Its late, but I think the song is Rainy Days Get Me Down or something like that.......I can hear the tune in my head, but most of the words are lost on me at the moment.

Sorry about the loss of the football game, but how fun to spend a Friday night at the local high school football game,even if it was raining......we don't get to attend many football games since we are out here on the farm a good ways from town.

Have a great weekend......=)

The W.O.W. factor! said...

I don't much care for football~ except for local High school ones! They are truly fun. We don't have to worry about rain on us here...wish we did!
Ike could send some of his 'waters' our way instead of drenching the whole state of TX !

Pat - Arkansas said...

I love that old (1971) Carpenter's song Rainy Days.

I like your photos of the rainy ballgame, especially the umbrella.

Jeannelle said...

Hi, deserthen!

You're very close....."Rainy Days and Mondays" by the Carpenters.

How far are you from town? Yes, I'm thankful to live as close as we do.....our school is about ten miles away.

You have nice weekend, too!

************

Hi, w.o.w.!

It is raining here again today.....if I could, I'd send it right your way!

Yes, high school sports are the best. Although......as a mother of a football player now, I truly don't care if they win or lose, as long as they don't get hurt!


***********

Hi, Pat!

Yup, you remember that Carpenters' song, too! They had some good ones, that's for sure.

I just love seeing a bunch of rain-speckled umbrellas together! I don't know why, but its just fascinating to me. There's an old movie.....can't think of the name, right now.....that has a scene looking down on a street-full of open umbrellas.....Cool!!

DesertHen said...

Aahhh.....I was close on the song title...I could hear the song in my head though.

We are about 40 miles from town. I know that doesn't seem far to some......but it is enough to keep us from making extra trips to town. I have lived in more remote areas though......one farm being 2 1/2 hours from the nearest city and we only went to the city once a month for supplies. ( that is one of the very reasons that we homeschool ) Never know to what remote places the wind might blow us........