Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Soybean Glow

As a road sign stands as a marker for travelers, the suddenly golden soybean fields are signaling a ripening process in swift progress.
**
**

**
I love the way the fences, vines, and weed stalks stand out against the backdrop of a glowing golden soybean field!
**

The milkweed leaves are joining the golden brigade right now, too!

I took these photos while enjoying a walk along our road on Saturday afternoon; the day was overcast and coolish, but VERY humid........which was our miniscule share of Hurricane Ike, most likely, which was battering the Gulf Coast as I typed this Saturday evening. We were treated to fascinating clouds and sky colors at sunset on Saturday, too.......providing photo scenes for a future SkyWatch post!

**


**
**

Husband anticipates starting to chop corn for silage in another week or so. He's been working on the self-propelled New Idea Uni-chopper; it needed a new battery and other maintenance done like greasing moving parts and sharpening the knives that cut the cornstalks. Each individual part needs to be in good working order for the whole machine to do its job right.

**
**

We don't own a combine anymore, so we hire our neighbor to harvest our soybeans, which will take place in a few more weeks.......early October, I would guess. Every year is a little different, depending on how early crops were planted in the spring, and with last spring's lingering cold and rain, crops got a late start around here.

**
**
Have a good day........I hope the weather is fine where you are!

**
**

9 comments:

Adventure girl said...

I love these and just took some similar last night;)

I am getting ready to post some lovely pics on my blog;)

Again, love your blog;)

Pat - Arkansas said...

Love the golden soybean photos. The first photo, with the golden sunset, is just beautiful, Jeannelle.

Anonymous said...

Wow - We lived in NE and experienced the "seasons" as we did in TN. But it seems the colors in the midwest were brighter and more emphasized by the colors in the sky!

I love fresh soybeans. We grew up eating them like peanuts. We found some "soybean hay" one year and fed our horses. They had the shiniest coats I have ever seen. People from all over asked us what our trick was. I would love to find some more.

DesertHen said...

What beautiful shots of the soybean fields. You can really see "fall" in your area.

We are getting ready to start fourth cutting of hay.....which means cold nights working in warm clothes.....warm days sweating in warm clothes......=)

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I love the autumnal look of these, and I enjoyed the heron pic. (Sorry to be brief. We've had tech issues and I'm catching up on three days of posts.)

Jeannelle said...

Hi, adventuregirl, pat, saddlegait, deserthen, ruth!

Thanks for visiting the soybean post! These photos were taken on Saturday and already today on Tuesday, the bright golden color of the fields has faded. Things change so fast in the fall!

The W.O.W. factor! said...

Fall is definetly upon you! Stunning colors! (danged! ...I'm going to put c-a-m-e-r-a on my list for Santa this year! I want pix like yours!!)

Country Girl said...

Ok, Jeannelle. That soybean glow is really nice. I am loving your pictures!

Country Girl said...

Hey, by the way, have you been over to Crystal Jigsaw's site? I didn't know if it was something you'd be interested in. She just seems, well, interesting.